Bullet choices for 270

MY REMINGTON DOESNT LIKE 130 GR BULLETS FOR DEER 150 WIN POWER POINTS OVER ACCURATE 4350 MAKES DEAD RIGHT THERE DEER 50 YARD SHOT GOES IN ABOUT THE SIZE OF A QUARTER GOES OUT THE OTHER SIDE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A BASEBALL. IVE GOT SOME FEDERAL FUSION BULLETS 150 GR WOULD PROBABLY USE THOSE FOR ELK

I have recently acquired a Remington 700 BDL in 270. I have learned from Remington it was manufactured in July of 1974 and that's all the history I have on it. I am trying to develop a load in the 145-150 grain bullet range. I want to give it to my grandson for deer and elk hunting. I know this rifle has a 22" barrel with a 1-10 twist. I like the 4831 powder and thought I had found a load using 145 ELD X. After going thru powder charges and seating depth I got a 5/8 group with 2936 FPS. Loaded up a bunch and took it out to sight in and couldn't get under 2" groups. I would get 2 touching then a flyer. Try another group and same results. I wouldn't think I would need a faster twist rate for that bullet but apparently the gun doesn't like that bullet. I recently read some rifles just don't like boat tails so I am asking for what some of you may have found successful with this rifle in the 150 grain range. I am not opposed to the 130 grain but really want to go heavier.
Thanks
I've bern shooting a Remington 700 ADL 270 since1969 and tried all kinds of ammo...different grains and also hand loads.Ive not found anything better than the 130 silver tip

Never shot a 270 that didn't like 130's , but found several that didn't like anything else! Especially older ones. buy some 130 Rem cheapie green box, pretty sure you will be happy.
Good advice and my experience matches up. The .270 was built around a 130 grain flat based bullet "in the beginning"...never met one that didn't like them.
But my experience with Remington ammo has sucked! For factory cheap ammo Winchester super x and federal blue box all day! The 130 grain federal power shock is the most accurate factory load I've tried. Winchester comes close and chrono s 50-100 FPS faster, exactly what the box said it would do. Remington is less accurate and a full 250 FPS behind advertised velocity in both .243 and 270. No Remington recommendations from me!

I tried a number of bullets in a tikka 270 win and it generally disliked anything 140 and over. 130 Sierra gamekings shot 1/2 moa or better, 130 accubonds did just shy of 1 moa. Neither held together on deer/antelope and did lots of meat damage.

It also did ok with 150gr partitions, but swapped to 133 shock/sledge hammers and they print under 1/3 moa when I do my part and do great on game.

I have recently acquired a Remington 700 BDL in 270. I have learned from Remington it was manufactured in July of 1974 and that's all the history I have on it. I am trying to develop a load in the 145-150 grain bullet range. I want to give it to my grandson for deer and elk hunting. I know this rifle has a 22" barrel with a 1-10 twist. I like the 4831 powder and thought I had found a load using 145 ELD X. After going thru powder charges and seating depth I got a 5/8 group with 2936 FPS. Loaded up a bunch and took it out to sight in and couldn't get under 2" groups. I would get 2 touching then a flyer. Try another group and same results. I wouldn't think I would need a faster twist rate for that bullet but apparently the gun doesn't like that bullet. I recently read some rifles just don't like boat tails so I am asking for what some of you may have found successful with this rifle in the 150 grain range. I am not opposed to the 130 grain but really want to go heavier.
Thanks
I use 140 gr partitions for elk in my 270. Last year 420 yards dropped the elk with one shot, went about 5 steps. This year 225 yards and dropped elk where it stood, never got up. H4831 SC with Fed 210M primers and Norma brass.

Don't overlook Hornady interlocks, Speer hot cors or Sierra game kings. They have been bread and butter killers for years in the trusty 270
150 Hornady Interlock is what my old .270 has been shooting for over 30 years. They are great on deer or pronghorn. It was built in 1958 and hates boattails. Loves IMR4350 powder. Old gun - old recipe still shots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA. They like what they like.

Last edited:
Thanks
I have been shooting Berger Classic Hunter 130 grain with 58.5 grains of H4831sc at 3037fps for deer and elk with deadly results. Berger designed the 130 CH (short hybrid bullet) for the .270. My successful experience has resulted from shot placement. My three-shot groups touch on the days that I pay close attention to my shooting form with a bipod and rear bag...

Thanks
Try hornady 150 gr Spire Points....the old trusty load...I get 1/2" MOA with them and have for years out to 450 yards which is the farthest i have used them

I love this site for all the knowledge and advice I have received over the years and all of you are continuing to go above and beyond. I am definitely seeing a lot of repeat advice on bullets. I decided to double check a few things with the rifle today at your advice. I should have already done these and was surprised to find a tight spot with the barrel on the forend where the wood and plastic cap come together. I thought I had cut enough of a relief there when I bedded it but I couldn't slide a paper down without hard resistance. That would line up with what CCAguns mentioned about the heat from the first 2 shots affecting #3. I removed more material and now have a free slide with the paper. Will be going out tomorrow and running some groups. If that doesn't work will be looking at one of the flat based bullets already mentioned.
To answer a few other questions that I was asked, I live in NE Oregon where the temps during hunting season can range from 90 to -0. I try to do all my load development between 60-70 degrees to eliminate high temp pressure spikes. I enjoyed a thread recently on checking your dope in really cold temps. I will be doing that this winter on my long range rig. Browning Abolt stainless stalker in 300WSM. I haven't verified below 40 before. Will share my findings after the range tomorrow.
thanks for all the great advice.

Thanks

I don't understand why you need that heavy of a bullet for deer or even elk. If memory serves me correctly the 270 was designed around the 140gr bullet going at about 3000fps. This was a very flat shooting gun and covered a niche area for bullet weights. I understand long range shooting as well. But why load such a heavy bullet for a smaller animal. If you shoot a 150gr bullet you may as well just use a 30-06 at least the 30 cal you'll have an overwhelming assortment of bullets to choose from. However, in the future I totally expect some cool bullet developments from all the manufacturer's since the military is pushing for a .277 caliber gun. But really the 270 Win will do everything very well with a 130 to 140gr bullets.

For what it's worth, I purchased my .270 Rem 700 in 1974, and I first used 130 gr. bullets using whatever was cheap, usually Hornady. It always shot terrific. I later tried and settled on 140 gr. hornady spbt and they shoot great. Best bullet I have used. I have never had a problem with any bullet I shot from 100gr. to 150 gr. I never grouped the 150's because I didn't like them due to recoil. (I was 14 when I purchased the rifle.) All the other bullets have shot 1 moa or less so I never have worried about working up a load. I always just loaded middle of the range or slightly hotter using 4831, with the bullet just off the lands. The gun just doesn't seem to miss and out shoots me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.