Bullet choices for 270

It probably is not a twist issue. My M70 with 1 in 10 stabilizes that bullet fine so let's start looking for other issues. Did you check your loads for concentricity? Often bullets that are not seated straight because the bullet does not fit the seater plug precisely will give flyers. Sometimes in sizing the brass is pulled crooked, try sizing without the expander ball (or use one from a smaller caliber) then expand the necks by pushing the expander ball in, it usually results in straighter necks. Is the scope proven? Have you checked the bedding? Mounts? Crown?
There are a lot of things that cause flyers, twist is not usually the problem.
BTW I use RL26 with the 145ELDX.

I was having a similar issue with my Weatherby in 270 Win.
It likes the 140 Accubond over 58.0 of H4831 with a CCI 200. Groups started opening up again at 58.5, similar to how they were at 57.5.

I'm sure you probably already have, but it might be worth checking to make sure your barrel isn't bound in the stock. Same Weatherby mentioned above, the action had to raise 5/32" before the barrel floated. Shot horrible until that was fixed, now it shoots like a dream with the above load.

haha good advice, I second it. My 270 is a Early 2000s savage 111 package gun. Stock is absolutely horrible but the gun shoots almost any load well. Not amazing with anything but good
with everything, never shot a cloverleaf but very hard to find a load factory or hand loaded that it won't keep inside an honest 1.5" and the .300 is my dedicated long range shooter, this 270 is my lightweight, pleasant to carry, all purpose hunter and for that purpose it's perfect and accurate. Best groups are with 130 flat bases of any kind, right around an inch consistently.
Anyways, it used to be prone to shooting much worse groups sporadically, great one day, dreadful the next, couldn't figure it out...educated myself back then about what it meant to be free floating, did the dollar bill test and found that the stock was touching the barrel, and this worsened in cold weather (despite what some might suggest wood is not the only material that experiences expansion/contraction in heat and cold, it's just physics...what synthetics avoid is warping from humidity but I think the cheaper plastic stocks actually change MORE than wood does from temperature). Long story short I shaved the stock down with a utility knife. It's ugly. It was ugly before I performed DIY gun surgery. It shoots consistently now so it worked.

The 145 in a 10 twist might work and it might not.

Honestly, life's too short to fight it. Tons of good old bullets that will work wonderfully.

What else have you tried for combo's, and to what ranges will the gun be used?

Like many others, the 130 Ballistic Tip on top of 4831 has been my long time go to but have had good luck with RL-22. My elk bullet has always been the 150 Partition. It likes all three of my 270's and does a great job.

As a long time fan of the fine, old 270, my go to bullet is the 150 gr. Nosler Partition loaded with Reloader 22, or my new favorite Reloader 23. (more temp. stable) Out of a 24" bbl., my gun will push these to 3000 fps. Out of my old Remington 700 with a 22" bbl. I can push these to 2875/2900. both of these rifles are pillar bedded and and have Timinney triggers. With a bit of load development, I can achieve .6 to .7 3 shot groups. Where I live, both deer and elk seasons are open at the same time, so I opted for the heavier bullet. These bullets will reliably penetrate, and expand out to nearly 400 yds. If I were to hunt deer size game only, I would opt for the 130 gr. Nosler partition, or the 110 gr. Barnes TTSX. That said, when hunting for elk, I grab my 300 WEA.

My Win 70 24" Bbl shoot's the Barnes TTSX 130 gr into almost clover leaf groups. Using the Barnes 130Gr TTSX with a load of 59.5 grs of Rel 19 for 3211 fps. This is a load right out of the Barnes manual. This bullet has proven numerous times to give complete penetration on elk shoulders. It will out penetrate any bonded or partitioned bullet I have tried & give a flat trajectory. It's not that other bullets won't work because they can. Need to remember in elk hunting many times you will get a quartering shot from the front or rear. This is where a tough deep penetrating bullet is required. Over the years I have taken most all my elk from under 200 yds, & many under 100. Cup & core bullets tend to come apart & not penetrate well at these closer ranges. This last season a mature elk was taken at about 80 yds. Complete penetration of both front shoulders ..

I love my Maple stocked Remington 700 BDL in 270 Win which was made in 1968. I used to carry Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 but that solid plastic but plate was really hard on my shoulder and at 76 years old that makes a lot of difference plus I love that Fiddle Back Maple Stock !!

I have recently acquired a Remington 700 BDL in 270. I have learned from Remington it was manufactured in July of 1974 and that's all the history I have on it. I am trying to develop a load in the 145-150 grain bullet range. I want to give it to my grandson for deer and elk hunting. I know this rifle has a 22" barrel with a 1-10 twist. I like the 4831 powder and thought I had found a load using 145 ELD X. After going thru powder charges and seating depth I got a 5/8 group with 2936 FPS. Loaded up a bunch and took it out to sight in and couldn't get under 2" groups. I would get 2 touching then a flyer. Try another group and same results. I wouldn't think I would need a faster twist rate for that bullet but apparently the gun doesn't like that bullet. I recently read some rifles just don't like boat tails so I am asking for what some of you may have found successful with this rifle in the 150 grain range. I am not opposed to the 130 grain but really want to go heavier.
Thanks
130 grain Nosler partition, would be what I would try next. Definently flat based bullets. Or try sierra 130 flat based. Same issue on a custom rifle. Now good to 200 yards and beyond...

If you are consistently shooting the first two bullets touching in every group, leave well enough alone. For hunting, this is excellent. Rarely will you need a third bullet hunting. My guess is a bedding or barrel channel problem that develops when your gun gets hot. Your velocities are excellent and first two bullets touching tells me reams. Wait til the barrel cools and shoot the third bullet. I sure wouldn't give up on that load, especially for hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.