Bullet Choice for Elk

Mixed opinion on the bergers out of my 300 wby. Tried the 210 vld this year, while they certainly did the job of killing on mostly perfect shot placement, they absolutely blew apart before hitting bone(I know sort of how they are designed). I'm just worried about how they fair in less than ideal shot placement.

Has anyone had any negative experiences with the Berger 215 hybrid out of a .300 win mag at close range? How does it fare if you hit a bone?

Accubonds have been a good all around bullet for me. I shot elk with 180's out of a 300 win, 200gr out of 8mm mag, 250's out of 338 RUM all performed great at distances from 100 to 600 yards

I've used the nosler accurabond 180 in my 300 win mags for several years 50 to 800 yards. They have done a good job at all distances on elk or deer. I would like to try the berger 215 and possible the 230, from everything I've read they sound like a very good bullet. But right at this moment if asked (what bullet works) from my experience 180 nosler ac. One other thing you might take into consideration is what bullet shoots good in your rifle. When you get out to 1000 yards, what you can't hit you can't kill. Good luck and above all have fun and be safe.

Feenix, that is a smoking load for a 300 wsm! How does Re-17 do with this caliber with temperature changes? Is your ES/SD good? I've been doing load development with W760 (because I have a keg) but it hasn't been consistent and I'm looking for something else to try in a 300 WSM.

Thanks

I am running a 180 grain Partition out of a 300 WSM Tikka Lite. I spent a long time developing loads and finally settled on RL17 as most consistent performer. Consistently sub-inch at 100 yds. Chrono said it was going about 3025. Had to get a Vais brake after I got the load developed, that 6.5 lb rifle had given me one heck of a flinch by then.

The other excellent performer was not one of the temp stable new powders. One of the 4350s if I recall right though my n
otes are at home on what it was if you are interested but the RL17 worked just as well.

I took a 6x6 this year in the Frank Church at 300 yards, super steep downhill shot, took us a 20 minute descent to get the horses and mules to the elk. Hit a bit high and forward, nicked one of the spinal processes above the shoulder, elk went straight down and stayed down for the finishing shot a bit later. .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.