Bullet choice for consistancy?

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, I am shooting a 25/06 and have been loading Berger 115gr VLD's and really like their high BC (.466) and results on target and game however, when trying to seperate them by bearing surface I find they have alot of variation. Recently out of a box of 100 the largest single group was 32 bullets with the remainder seperated into 5 other diffrent measurments. Is this normal for Berger VLD's?

According to Shawn Carlocks video on reloading for long range hunting he recommends using only one size bearing surface for your hunting bullets and those within 1/1000th of the hunting bullet for target practice and the remainder for fouling and sighting in rounds which leaves me with alot of bullets unfit for hunting or target practice.

Is there a more uniform bullet in this caliber that also has a high BC and hunting construction that you would suggest? Thank's, Brad

You are talking over 60% "failure" rate? How are you measuring, and WHAT are you measuring?

If you really like your results with them you are worrying about something you don't need to.As longrange shooters we can pick anything apart but if it work it works.

If you really like your results with them you are worrying about something you don't need to.As longrange shooters we can pick anything apart but if it work it works.

+1

I may discard a few components. But, I base my expectations on the performance of the stuff that doesn't make the "perfect" pile.

Then, I hope and trust the good stuff will meet or exceed expectations.

When measuring to .001" or less. I often measure multiple times and set a few aside for re-verification to confirm that I'm being consistent. Dirt, oil, and low batteries can lead to a lot of frustration.

-- richard

I am measuring using my digital calipers and Hornady comparators. I found that after seperating by bearing surface I was able to get extreme spread down to mid 20's where before it may range as high as 100fps. Brad

You may want to try some different loads, powder, primers somethings...i haven't done a ton of chrony work, but i've never had a centerfire with extreme spread of 100 that i couldn't shrink down by changing powder or primers. I know some primers will tend to have higher extreme spreads, some magnums even like large rifle primers better than the magnum primers.

My bergers extreme spread is less than 20 with h1000, where with h4831sc it was closer to 80-90. My CZ .223 extreme spread in mid-temps with varget powder is generally 10-15...and with h335 it was 60ish...and i've never sorted out berger's or sierras and thrown away different bullets. Just my 2cents, but i'm no pro.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.