bullet choice for 7mm saum?

steelshooter

I am having a 7mm saum built and was wondering what other people are using for hunting bullets.
I think I will use 162gn or 168gn for ranges beyond 500yds and maybe 160gn accubonds for closer ranges.

What are your thoughts?

Also, I see some people call it a 7mm saum and some a 7mm Rsaum. Is there a difference?

I am having a 7mm saum built and was wondering what other people are using for hunting bullets.
I think I will use 162gn or 168gn for ranges beyond 500yds and maybe 160gn accubonds for closer ranges.

MY 7 SAUM LIKES THE 160gn accubonds CLOSE AND FAR. SAME WITH THE 168 VLD.
The barrel is 26" #4 Douglas conture.

Also, I see some people call it a 7mm saum and some a 7mm Rsaum. Is there a difference?

REMINGTON 7mm SAUM VS. 7mm REMINGTON SAUM.
Sounds like the same thing to me.

How much barrel are you putting on your saum. How long? How heavy?

You didn't say what you're hunting. Or, how far.

But most likely, either bullet will work at pretty much all of the ranges you hunt at.

Unless you have meaningful differences in what or how you hunt, I'd pick one bullet that the rifle likes and stick with it. Not having to remember which bullet you're shooting and keeping up with dope on multiple loads may well be a bigger factor than the terminal ballistics of one vs another.

I'm a Berger fan for long range performance. And, they're pretty devastating close up as well.

7SAUM and 7RSAUM are the same.

-- richard

The barrel is a Sendero profile 9 twist 26" but with deep flutes. Its a barrel I have already in 7mm08 and am having it rechambered. If that doesn't shoot well, the barrel that replaces it may not be so heavy but will still remain 26".

I agree with the theory of one bullet means one set of data, but was under the impression that I needed something fairly tough at closer ranges and then something which would expand down range when velocity and energy figures had dropped.
Maximum range would be around 900yds (more often 7-800yds).
I plan to take smaller deer and pigs at these ranges.

Pigs are tough animals so If the rifle likes them at distance I'll take your advice and give them a go.

For shooting really big hogs in the shoulder, you might be better off with a TTSX. ...assuming you wouldn't rather just let him run home and die.

Otherwise, just put an AB or Berger right behind the shoulder. You'll most likely get an exit wound you can put your fist through. (been there, done that)

Ranging deer at 900 yds is a challenge and a good BC will help mitigate imperfect wind readings.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.