Bullet Choice for 1:9” 6.5x55

I have rebuilt a few 96 Mausers and the argument about being soft, in my opinion, has more to do with when they are built than what they are called. Pre - WW1 actions were soft. All you have to do is touch them with a file and you will know that. Later actions were stronger. I don't know how much stronger because I never had one tested. I do know that some later ones were chambered in more high pressure cartridges and were fine. I alway left them in 6.5 x 55 because I believe it to be an excellent caliber.

I shoot the 129 ABLR in one of my 6.5x55 and 142 in the other they both kill really well and are accurate. Reloader 16 is hard to beat in that caliber

He said was built on 1938 Mauser 98 action. Plenty strong. 96 Mausers are strong as a 98 action. Just bad mouthed in USA. I have several 30-30s loaded way past standard pressures, but loads are only fired in these rifles.

If you are running a M-96 action go ahead you been advised as to the problem with M-96 actions. That part of the problem. You can lead a horse to water, but you can make them drink. You have been advised.

If you are running a M-96 action go ahead you been advised as to the problem with M-96 actions. That part of the problem. You can lead a horse to water, but you can make them drink. You have been advised.
advise and facts do not match this time

Norma used to use M96 actions for all of their pressure testing. It's a strong action, but like everything else exercise caution and good judgement.
Most American 6.5x55 ammo is loaded down compared to European ammo due to some M94 actions still being around.

Try flat base bullets if you can find them in the weight range you want to shoot. They stabilize easier/faster than a boattail. The BIB 187 gr 308 flatbase stabilized fine in a 12 twist.
No substitute for trying the bullet; let the target tell you what works.

The Carl Gustav built 96's are as strong as a 98 in every way, the preference for downloading the ammo is for 94/5 Mauser rifles still in use.
I loaded my Carl Gustav 96 with the same ammo my Ruger M77 MK II was using without a hic-cup. These were European CIP loads, not the US loads.

Cheers.

another bs story with no FACTS.
THEY ARE BUILT INTO 30/06'S in europe and CERTIFIED safe. as in proof rounds.
they do use 58700 vs 60000 psi, with a 25% safety margin, that aint much.
The Carl Gustav built 96's are as strong as a 98 in every way, the preference for downloading the ammo is for 94/5 Mauser rifles still in use.
I loaded my Carl Gustav 96 with the same ammo my Ruger M77 MK II was using without a hic-cup. These were European CIP loads, not the US loads.

Cheers.
Your correct my dad and I have restocked altered bolts cut and crowned drilled and taped a many 96 Swedes and loaded them too max loads my go too load use too be 47 grs of h 4350 cci 250 mag primer with a 125 gr Nosler part no pressure problem my Po ackley loading manual says they blow up about the same as a 98 Mauser at 100 thousand psi the main difference is no 3rd safety lug at the rear and being a small receiver ring the heat treating is easy too see in the receiver ring and locking lug area when reblued because it has a reddish tent the 93 Spanish mausers are a different story Kimber put there name on a lot of 96 mausers now saying all that some are in better shape than others and always ode caution with any military barreled action didn't mean too derail the post but hope I clarified the 96 Swede