Bullet choice and twist rate for 30-06 LR build

Crashman1

What do you guys recommend for a bullet and twist rate for long range shooting from a 30-06? LR performance for paper and steel is the only consideration, this rifle will not be used for game animals. A custom reamer will be used to seat long bullets out, and it will be a single shot so magazine length is not an issue.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated. Thanks!

My .30-06 AI wears a 26" Rem Sendero/Varmint contour 1:12 twist, and loves the Berger 185 VLD's backed by a compressed load of 7828 SSC and Fed 210M's.

Optimum barrel length for a 30cal is 27.125" for vibrational tuning in military testing.(I assume it was a M24-M40 contor) Meaning that length had a larger sweet spot for shooting long range 30 caliber bullets in various cartridges.
Lapua brass will squeeze that last bit of performance out of your build. Also consider Danzac, HBN, or moly coating your bullets. THe advantages may be small but they are advantages. I use Moly and the 2 things I see are higher velocities or less pressure at a velocity that I want to shoot at. In the 270I can see 3200fps with 130's and 300fps with 150's without being anywhere near max. In my 243's and now a 243 ai Shooting 70 blitzkings at 3450 the rifle barely moves. The 87Vmax load at 3320 in the straight 243 is again very pleasant to shoot.
If you search for montana marines testing of the 190accubond lr in the 06 you can see the benefit of coating bullets
Good luck and post up your results

Crash- what action/scope? if you read on rifleman's journal there is a quite a bit on the 30-06 there. i would get a 10 twist krieger. Rmulhern has a really good 30-06 i have seen it on here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts