Bullet change and more copper fouling

On the second batch of 25 rounds I used the same brass as the first batch... So the second batch was second firing

The only thing I would have done differently would be to not use the JB on the barrel if it was not fouling. You went to the trouble to do a break in and was getting good results. JB is an abrasive and by using it you defeated the break in process.

I would also recommend never making more than one change at a time. This allows you to see the change and the problem can be diagnosed easier, especially if you have a good load and just want to improve it. It is easy to second guess a problem but if you only change one thing at a time, it is much easier.

Also I have shot Speer hot cores and found them no worse than other bullets for fouling. I mostly used them for break in because they were about half price and reasonably accurate. Once break in is complete I always start testing with my first choice of bullets so I have a bench mark. :)

J E CUSTOM

The only thing I would have done differently would be to not use the JB on the barrel if it was not fouling. You went to the trouble to do a break in and was getting good results. JB is an abrasive and by using it you defeated the break in process.

I would also recommend never making more than one change at a time. This allows you to see the change and the problem can be diagnosed easier, especially if you have a good load and just want to improve it. It is easy to second guess a problem but if you only change one thing at a time, it is much easier.

Also I have shot Speer hot cores and found them no worse than other bullets for fouling. I mostly used them for break in because they were about half price and reasonably accurate. Once break in is complete I always start testing with my first choice of bullets so I have a bench mark. :)

J E CUSTOM

I did shoot more Sierras after using the JBs and the amount of copper pickup was the same. So I don't think the use of JBs nullified my breaking in the barrel early on.

After I work my way through some of this virgin starline and then fire it again, if I see the same results of virgin causing fouling and nonvirgin not causing fouling, then I'll have my answer!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.