Bull Tahr at 630 yards (pics and video)

kiwi3006

I just got back from a successful weekend hunting Tahr. Rob and I had intended going for three days, but we both shot a bull on the first day so came home early.
We had driven down Friday night and camped by the truck. Up early Saturday morning we were only half an hour into the walk when we saw the first mob about 1 kilometre away up on a ridge. There was a bull with them so we kept them in mind for later in the day.
About 2.5 hours after leaving the truck I was pointing out some tracks to Rob when he noticed the animals that had made them. We got set up, Rob on the rifle and me on the video and spotting scope. Eventually we had everything set and Rob took the shot at 630 yards. He was using my 7mm rem mag, dialled 10.5 MOA elevation and 1 MOA left windage. I was able to see the trace hit the bull at the back of the ribcage and then he started downhill draging his back legs. I lost him from sight, but checking on the video I saw where he had gone down.
We carried on and set up camp , emptied the packs and then climbed up to the bull.
Robtahr.jpg

He measured 11.5" in length and 8.75" circumference and just sneaks in to the record books.

Robview.jpg

Rob, looking up the valley we hunted.

While we were dealing to the bull I spotted the bull from earlier in the day. We hatched a possible route to get to him after lunch.

About 3 pm we were within 750 yards of the bull, but I didn't want to take the shot from there. They were feeding down and I figured they would come closer. Unfortunately they started to feed away from us. I took a shot at 650 yards as he was about to go behind a ridge. We didn't know if I had connected or not, so climbed around the next gully to get a look.
We came over the ridge and spotted him, unhurt, at 265 yards. I got set up over my pack, and then got a bit exicted and pulled the shot, hitting him in the front leg. He ran downhill and befor eventally stopping. I made sure of a better squeeze this time, but pulled the trigger on an empty chamber! Quickly reloading I hit him square in the chest, but he still took a while to go down.

Stutahr.jpg

My bull, 11" length and 8" bases.

We eventually got back to camp about 1.5 hours after dark. Next morning we packed up and came home early.

Packingout.jpg

Carrying my pack back out, with the full body tahr skin on the outside.

Here is a short video of the hunt, it is an old camera so the quality is not the greatest.

YouTube - Godley Tahr hunt

Slopeshunter, it was actually reasonably warm most of the time, although Sunday morning was down to -9 celsius I think.

BB thanks for the comments.

Stu.

Last edited:
Topshot, thanks for the comments, the rifle is a Rem 700 rebarreled with a Trueflite Ultramatch No 4 26" 1-9 twist, chambered in 7mm rem mag.
Scope is a Leupold VX III LR 4.5 -14 x 40. Burris Signature rings
Load is 162 a-max, federal brass, federal 215 primer, 73.4 gr ADI2217, 3060 fps.
the other load is 160 accubond federal brass, federal 215 primer, 72.9 gr ADI2217, 3068 fps.
The accubond load shoots 1" higher than the a-max for the same sight setting.

Stu.

Topshot, thanks for the comments, the rifle is a Rem 700 rebarreled with a Trueflite Ultramatch No 4 26" 1-9 twist, chambered in 7mm rem mag.
Scope is a Leupold VX III LR 4.5 -14 x 40. Burris Signature rings
Load is 162 a-max, federal brass, federal 215 primer, 73.4 gr ADI2217, 3060 fps.
the other load is 160 accubond federal brass, federal 215 primer, 72.9 gr ADI2217, 3068 fps.
The accubond load shoots 1" higher than the a-max for the same sight setting.

Stu.

Thanks Stu, sounds like a very good outfit. It sure sorts out those Tahr, what else have you shot with it? I hope to get over the ditch soon and have a hunt on the Tahr and chammmmmmy some time next year.

I am thinking of using one of those truflite barrels on a new project of mine. They are available through keith Hills gunsmithing service here in Australia.

What is your opinion of these barrels compared to a U.S. made custom barrel? With my current project a .338 EDGE, I have been waiting on a Lilja barrel from the U.S. since November last year and I am starting to get a bit disheartened!

I have used Aussie made MAB barrels in the past but am not too happy with them so am looking to a local ulternative.

Keep up the good work.

Topshot,

I am happy with the barrel, but I have nothing else to compare it with. All groups are within 0.5 - 1.0 MOA at 100yds, but I reckon the rifle can shoot better than what I can. I have 130 rounds down it and it is still copper fouling though. 300WSMMAD on here has a trueflite barrel on his 338 Lapua. Here is a link to his rifle
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/barnard-338-lapua-36968/

The rifle has taken 6 red deer from 50 - 386 yards, 1 pig at 383 yds, 1 fallow at 638 yards and 3 tahr at 265 - 630 yds. All (except 2 tahr) have been one shot DRT kills.

Here are some links to some of these animals

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/pig-383-yds-deer-300-yds-41257/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/two-firsts-38464/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/48-years-between-deer-37033/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/longest-shot-yet-36440/

Hope this answers your questions.

Keep in touch about your hunt next year, depending on when you are coming I might be able to help you out, I am a school teacher so can only get school holidays off.

Stu.

nice work Stu.
i was up the godley the week thats just been. spent 5 days up there. didnt see that many animals but did get 2 11 3/4 inch bulls and my mate got his first tahr. a 9 incher. had a great trip. got both of mine inside 200m one at 125 and the other at 193. i passed up on a 330m shot on the biggest animal i have ever seen. supper gutted i didnt take it since i know i could have. next time...those tahr seemed super low down. that would be nice. i was doing some serious mountaineering to get up to mine.
hope to get out sometime for a shoot with you fellas.
cheers
rob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.