Builds getting heavier and heavier

While being a turbine mechanic offshore in the gulf of mexico I watched them set up an auto pipe welder.When they pressed the auto-feed button and walk away I wondered what would happen but it went smoothly and a perfect weld,much better than I could have done.
I respect pipe welders as it's a hard job.
BTW I love your rifles Huntnful

While being a turbine mechanic offshore in the gulf of mexico I watched them set up an auto pipe welder.When they pressed the auto-feed button and walk away I wondered what would happen but it went smoothly and a perfect weld,much better than I could have done.
I respect pipe welders as it's a hard job.
BTW I love your rifles Huntnful
Awesome! There's is definitely a place for automated welders. They can be very efficient!! And thank you!
did you get your one 300 NIMP rebarrel done up yet
I did! It's the one in the middle with spiral fluted barrel. Just haven't got to shoot it because of work and muddy roads where I shoot at.

I plan to get a golf cart to lug my stuff around. If no steep slopes & rough surfaces,10-15 extra pounds won't be a burden. This includes 2 rifles, ammo (rifles & handgun) tripod, lunch, iced tea, water & eaties. Two,12- 14-pound rifles & small bullets enable hits to be seen. Small pack also. My BMI is within limits. Landowner says no motor vehicles. No plans to take up golf.

I'm doing a true ultralight build right now. Steel since it's lighter than carbon for a barrel. It's for when I'm packing it far and or up mountains.
If I'm going to largely be sitting somewhere and not have to carry it that much, then somewhere in the 9.5lb range seems nice. It's easier to shoot and offers a more sturdy platform for those rare really long shots.

But for me lightweight is about actually being there. Still having the drive to go one more drainage over. Shooting the animal is by far the easiest part of hunting. Light rifles don't hinder it that much. If we're honest, we can all go way down in caliber/energy for what we shoot for 99% of shots. That mitigates most of the recoil and harder to shoot problem.
If everyone limited themselves to nothing more than 308 win muzzle energy, at least in NA, there would be almost the exact same number of dead animals every year. Probably more.

I'm doing a true ultralight build right now. Steel since it's lighter than carbon for a barrel. It's for when I'm packing it far and or up mountains.
If I'm going to largely be sitting somewhere and not have to carry it that much, then somewhere in the 9.5lb range seems nice. It's easier to shoot and offers a more sturdy platform for those rare really long shots.

But for me lightweight is about actually being there. Still having the drive to go one more drainage over. Shooting the animal is by far the easiest part of hunting. Light rifles don't hinder it that much. If we're honest, we can all go way down in caliber/energy for what we shoot for 99% of shots. That mitigates most of the recoil and harder to shoot problem.
If everyone limited themselves to nothing more than 308 win muzzle energy, at least in NA, there would be almost the exact same number of dead animals every year. Probably more.
I'm right with you on everything you said, except the steel vs carbon barrel weight. My CF barrels are lighter than same diameter steel barrels. By like, a lot. LOL.

I'll say this every time the magnums come into conversation. The Vortex podcast where they identified that 7mm Mag uses 40% more powder for only a 9% gain over the 708 resonates in my brain.

I'm right with you on everything you said, except the steel vs carbon barrel weight. My CF barrels are lighter than same diameter steel barrels. By like, a lot. LOL.

I'll say this every time the magnums come into conversation. The Vortex podcast where they identified that 7mm Mag uses 40% more powder for only a 9% gain over the 708 resonates in my brain.
I just meant for light weight. There are no carbon barrel profiles that are lighter than featherweight steel profiles. If you're doing a true ultralight build you have to stay away from the carbon barrel. It's the one thing on the whole gun that will cost less to be less weight.
Same profile, carbon is a lot lighter.

Last edited:
I just meant for light weight. There are no carbon barrel profiles that are lighter than featherweight steel profiles. If you're doing a true ultralight build you have to stay away from the carbon barrel. It's the one thing on the whole gun that will cost less to be less weight.
Same profile, carbon is a lot lighter.
100% spot on. Many people will never wrap their brains around the fact that 4 lbs of carbon fiber is heavier than 3 lbs of SS.

The asterisk being that if people are head deep in the prefit world and they also require muzzle threads for suppressors/brakes they may have just subconsciously ruled out featherweight steel barrels.

The muzzle threads are really nice about carbon barrels for the weight, it's hard to get a sub 3 lb steel barrel with a simple 5/8 thread solution.

The asterisk being that if people are head deep in the prefit world and they also require muzzle threads for suppressors/brakes they may have just subconsciously ruled out featherweight steel barrels.

The muzzle threads are really nice about carbon barrels for the weight, it's hard to get a sub 3 lb steel barrel with a simple 5/8 thread solution.
Nah, you just have the company that is doing your barrel, make the end of the barrel a bit wider to accept those threads.

I have a Douglas featherweight profile barrel with 5/8 threads on it. The profile of that is .560 at the end, which you cannot put 5/8 thread on. I just had them bring it up to the minimum dimensions for 5/8 in the last inch or so. Just like you see on the Barrett Fieldcraft. Charged me like $50 extra to do that.

Recent Posts