Building on a tikka

W
I sent a Tikka t3 06 to JES about 5 or 6 years ago. He bored it out, it is now a 35 whelen. He did an excellent job. This rifle is very accurate. I have never shot a bad group with it. Usually cloverleaf 3 shots.I would recommend him and definitely would use him again myself. He is very knowledgeable and been at it a long time. No B.S. and quick turnaround. When I called the business, he answered the phone.
in the ball park what did it cost not looking for exact price but a rough guesstimate. I'm not turning to be a tightwad but how comparable to a new barrel at 450 ish

I sent a Tikka t3 06 to JES about 5 or 6 years ago. He bored it out, it is now a 35 whelen. He did an excellent job. This rifle is very accurate. I have never shot a bad group with it. Usually cloverleaf 3 shots.I would recommend him and definitely would use him again myself. He is very knowledgeable and been at it a long time. No B.S. and quick turnaround. When I called the business, he answered the phone.
I had him rebore a 308 into a 358 Win for me. Very fast turnaround and reasonable price. Definitely cheaper than a new barrel.

He recommended 3 groove for my application. I am glad I listened to him. It is very accurate.

I'll have to get ahold of him tomorrow sometime. I saw on the link you sent says he can do semi autos to that might be fun on a 742 action

I love building on Tikka's. Over half of the guns I built in my shop last year were on a tikka action. However I just talked one of my customers out of a 338-06 on a tikka because there is no room in the magazine box to seat the bullet out. That caliber would work great on a Remington 700 action. Or take your tikka and open the bolt face up for magnum calibers. I just did two 338-7wsm's on tikka's and they are impressive. Or one of the Sherman calibers would work great too.

Ok I'm as dumb as they come on gunsmithing. With that said I picked a 30-06 tikka up this evening off the neighbor kid for dirt cheap. I've always wanted a 338-06 . Would this be a good platform to make into a 338-06? I know the bolt would work . Should just be a barrel swap correct??
I've been watching all our local shops around for a cheap savage or Stevens to do this project with and could never find one suitable. For what I got this for I could stay well under what I'd planned on possibly spending. That is if tikkas are fairly easy to do a swap on . I've got several gun smiths fairly close . I've just never owned a tikka before or messed with any smithing at all

Tikka is a great factory action to build off of, next step is get a decent barrel, don't skimp or try and save $50 on a cheaper barrel, get yourself a good barrel, Bartlein, HawkHill or Benchmark just to name a few.

I was going to have JES rebore a savage to 35 Whelen for me. Had to leave a message but he did call back, seams like a very good guy. If I remember right he priced me about $250. Every one I have heard of that's used him have been very happy with his work and their rifles shoot very well. I ended up getting an E.R. Shaw barrel on sale for $164 so I went with it and it shoots very well. I think ether way you will do fine.

Can a Proof Carbon Sendero barrel be rebored?
If so, that could bring new life to a shot out expensive barrel.

Only thing to watch is the OAL of the mags for LA. I believe they limit you to about 3.4". Not an issue unless you hand load and want to really push the envelope. Just something to note.

Anyone ever do a 338 federal on a long action ? For what this gun would be used for either the 338-06 or the 338 federal would do. It would be used primarily as a bear gun we hunt with hounds so most shots are within 50 yards easily. But also it's possible that it will serve a time or two shooting whitetails

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.