building my own hunting rifle

bskusske21

I'd like to learn more about building my own hunting rifle.

essentially id like to build something similar to a fierce arms carbon TI. but I'm not sure where to start.

Does anybody have any good articles/books, websites/youtube videos to look at?

Am I getting way over my head and instead should I just buy directly from Fierce? The idea of building my own seems like a fun challenge but maybe I should just keep that idea in my head.

Look at the custom rifles that fit what you are looking for and get ideas there. Example: 28 nosler, can't go wrong with a #5 brux and manners eh stock with .280-.310 fb

First you need to lock in a cartridge you are interested in. Then you need simply figure out what action you want to go with. There are several nice actions for light weight builds. Mesa Crux Ti, Pierce Ti, Defiance hunter etc. etc. I personally am a fan of proof CF barrels but again good steel barrel will work here also. Then stock, plenty of light weight options here also. Manners EH series, mcmillan. Lastly, do you want to run DBM setup or BDL setup and again your cartridge choice and bullet selection might lean this decision one way or another. This is just my opinion as I have had a few fierce rifles but I have never had one of them shoot like any of my other customs. I am sure others may have had luck with them. Not to mention the accumulation of parts for a new build is the fun part !

To start with i'm thinking of doing a 300 RUM, this can be my "big game" rifle. if i enjoy the process i'll get something in a smaller caliber for "smaller" big game.

i do like the CF proof barrels as that would be my 1st choice.

This is my 300 rum setup.
Rem 700 action
Rem varmint contour fluted 27"
Manners eh5 midnight camo
Titanium cerakote
Xmark trigger with a bit of work
Harris bipod
Vortex 6-24 hst mil
Nothing fancy and some will laugh at trigger and bipod but I shoot it out to 1400yds and it does very well.
0C8823FB-9780-4ACE-B9B9-76381A1DE11D.jpeg

I like this one myself but there are others, my suggestions for components is manners stock, bighorn action and proof research barrel, I like manners because you can order one however you want it, they are tough and have a nice feel, Bighorn for easy of changing barrels and is very smooth action, a lot of places make prefit barrels for them shouldered or not or you can use a savage barrel that you can get all most anywhere and they are a rem 700 footprint making finding a stock and trigger alot easier, but they are not going to be the lightest action out there, Proof makes a great barrel and their CF barrel is very nice and light weight, alot of people also like a bartlien I've never had one but alot people on this forum would recommend them from what I've seen in other threads. There are alot of options out there and that's not even starting on scope selection, but the nice thing is when it's done its built with everything you want on it, (that's not to say you won't want to build another one) or pick your parts out and have a smith put it together for you. But it would be faster and maybe cheaper depending on what parts you get to buy a fierce or Christensen ect...

Do you have a good lathe and Bridgeport mill? Tooling? Precision measuring devices?
We are talking about a boat load of money here. Not Harbor Freight stuff!
But Quality tools..Much cheaper to pick the parts you want and pay someone to assemble it!..

Do you already have experience using a lathe and the basic measuring equipment? If you do, you can pick up a caliber specific range rod, reamer, reamer holder, go/no-go gauges and barrel clamp/wrench for removing/tightening barrels and give it a try. Recommend watching a gunsmith go through the process with you prior to jumping in. Would not recommend starting with a proof or other carbon barrel since there is no room for error. Your lathe will need a 4 jaw chuck or spider plate and be able to adjust center on both sides (I had to make a spider nut for the side spindle shaft opening on mine and center using 3/8 copper bolts). Practice making threads, if you don't have a lot of experience, on old barrels or on bar stock. Recommend using good carbide bits for threading (making threading bits by hand is to much trouble and takes some practice/skill). If you don't have a lathe and the basic machining equipment then you have a ways to go but if it is a passion start going to auctions or looking on Craigslist to get started. There are some great machining forms that will be very helpful for equipment selection and instruction. There are alway some great deals and if you can find someone closing shop or upgrading and they often will give package deals with a lot of lathe specific accessories thrown in. I picked up a lathe and end mill package and use the end mill almost as much as the lathe. Wouldn't expect my dream rifle on the first try but go slow and over-measure everything before/after cutting. That is how I got started and love it. Not so sure my wife thought I needed another hobby but...

First you need to lock in a cartridge you are interested in. Then you need simply figure out what action you want to go with. There are several nice actions for light weight builds. Mesa Crux Ti, Pierce Ti, Defiance hunter etc. etc. I personally am a fan of proof CF barrels but again good steel barrel will work here also. Then stock, plenty of light weight options here also. Manners EH series, mcmillan. Lastly, do you want to run DBM setup or BDL setup and again your cartridge choice and bullet selection might lean this decision one way or another. This is just my opinion as I have had a few fierce rifles but I have never had one of them shoot like any of my other customs. I am sure others may have had luck with them. Not to mention the accumulation of parts for a new build is the fun part !
As far as cartridges and actions I chose a 6.5 x 284 Norma in a long action besides needing a long action for the norma versus the 65 284 Winchester the other bonus is if I change my mind later on to a different caliber I have many more options

Thanks for the input, I don't have any equipment so I would have to purchase. I think it would be better finding a smith that could do the work after reading some posts. I have a lot of hobbies and although this interests me, with a 1.5-year old I don't think I have time right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.