Building from what I have

there are 2 things you can do to a factory stick that help fairly often. one is the tubb's final finish to smooth out the barrel and the other is a cryo treatment.hammer forged barrels have more stress in them than any other.i've seen quite a few factory guns shoot better after a cryo treatment. and most seem to think the tubbs treatment helps with the accuracy.would be around 100 bucks or so for both.no guarantees these will make it more accurate but then again, buying another gun doesn't get you a guarantee either. good luck!

did you ever say how it is shooting now?

7, i've just read back over all the posts and you didn't say any where that this thing is bedded.get this thing pillar bedded(as several have suggested)and shoot some 200 accubonds with rl22 powder out of it.if your stock is mush try resting it in close to the receiver instead of farther out when shooting.i don't know how well you can shoot but i once had a gun that didn't shoot very well until i let a friend of mine shoot it. did i mention he has won a national benchrest championship once? bottom line was his groups were half the size of mine.could never figure that out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You did,nt say how your gun shoots now. If its grouping i would start with a good cleaning then try some different bullets working on a load . diff. powders seating depth etc tension on gaurd screws just do the time consuming work.hope this helps 1300 metersgun)

I have taken remington 700s, brownings A bolts, and savage weather warriors out of the box and have stacked 5 rounds into a sub 5/8 group with all of them by doing the following:

Adjust factory trigger as low as it will go without getting slam fires. If you have the money, get a jewel trigger and never look back. My brothers sendaro almost cost him a trophy bull due to a slam fire problem in the heat of the moment.

Break the barrel in using a tried and tested method. If you don't think this works, chrono the first 20 rounds out of the rifle. They will have very high extreme spreads. Once the barrel is broke in and the copper is removed, sit back and watch the ES shrink and your groups tighten.

reload,reload,reload. Playing with different powders, and seating depths till you get groups near the 1/2 inch mark. This might be your biggest contribution towards accuracy

Double check to make sure all the action screws are properly torqued. Lap the scope rings if possible. Make sure the scope has perfect alignment.

The rem sendaro or savage long range hunter would be excellent out of the box rigs. I'd get the 7mm if it were me. I could explain why, but it would take more time than I have right now! PM me if you want more info.

looks like 1300meters resurrected the post, and I didn't know the difference. It would be interesting to see what he ended up with

yep built another 7 mag on a 700 rem action ptg bolt stop m14 type extractor,bluprinted and lilja barrel holland stock huskamaw 5x20 scope still tuneing a load.just picked up a savage 110 action going to build a 243 AI suprise them mound puppies keep em dead center 1300metersgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.