Building from what I have

coues7

I've been nosing around the site for quite some time and want to really try to get my rifle up to par to take some long range shots. I currently have a Rem. Model 700 chambered in 300 Win Mag with a Vais break 24" barrel 2" break. The barrel is fully floated. I have the Mark IV LR/T M1 Leupold scope, a chrono and reloading equipment.

I'm on a fairly tight budget with a family, mortage etc...probably much like most of you.

SO MY QUESTION IS: WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPROVE THE ACCURACY OF THIS RIFLE? DO I NEED A NEW PILLAR BEDDED STOCK? WHAT CAN I DO (BESIDES PRACTICE) TO IMPROVE IT'S LONG RANGE ACCURACY?

Thanks

Scott

I forgot to say that it is a SPS rifle. I've already adjusted the factory trigger to as light as it will go while still having the safety work properly. I also have already free floated the barrel.

As you are reloading already, you are going to be limited in what you can do.

More accuracy will come from a new barrel vs a new stock.

However, there are a lot of economical stocks that can be had in wood laminate if you will do the final finish. I just used a Bruce Baer sporter that he can send inletted and pillar bedded to you for final finish. www.baercustomrifles.com look under sporters. the thumbhole has a 1 3/4" flat and is super nice handling with magnum calibers in particular. My gun finished at 9.2 lbs with 26" barrel, stock, sling and scope. He makes them in solid wood and any color laminate. I used a light color super light butternut that finished 2.5 lbs bedded with recoil pad.

Midway normally has decent deals on shilen blanks in stock. Lilja normally lists his overruns for immediated deliver on his site (I just got a #4 delivered in 4 days for $300 shipped. Chamber, rcvr faced, lugs lapped and new recoil lug will run $200-275 normally.

Nothing wrong with the factory trigger for hunting gun.

I would save money and buy the barrel, then stock and have all done at once otherwise it will cost more money to rebed the rifle etc.

BH

I measured the lugs and they are 1 ten thousands different and the bolt is perfectly square. I already had a break put on the factory barrel (maybe a mistake) since a new custom barrel would improve accuracy. But I'll live with it for now.

On that note what improvement can I make that would really give me more accuracy.

As you know the SPS has a molded stock and if you grip
the forend you can make it touch the barrel with little
or know effort.

These stocks are not much more than a handle and are very
sensitive to location of support(sandbags,etc).

My recommendation is to find a composite or laminated
stock first and then rebarrel if it still wont shoot.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

JS

I consider a 1/2 MOA to be the max 5 shot group for a
custom rifle off sand bags and 1 MOA for a factory rifle
but allways try to improve these maximum groups.

The stock is the foundation for the rifle and has to be
stable for it work with everything.

With budget in mind look for a good strong stock and do
all the beding,floating,to it and this should tell you
if you need to rebarrel.

I like the laminated stocks because they are very strong
but are heaver than other stocks.

Accuracy is a combination of good barrels,chambers,actions,
crowns,stocks and shooting skills.

Any one of these items if not present can cause problems and
it sounds like all you need is a good stock.

The best group I have ever shot was .053 5 shot 100 yds off
sand bags with a 7mm-08 custom.some of the factory rifles
I have oned have shot .377 moa to .612 moa with lots of work.

some never would shoot so they became donor rifles(remove
barrel & stock and use everthing else.

Molded stocks are just a handle to hold on to.composit,
laminate and even the wood stocks are better,

Long winded I know but mabey this will help.

J E CUSTOM

This is totally just asking for opinions but should I just sell the gun (instead of spending $350 for a new stock) and just buy a Sendero?

I payed $495 for the gun and added the brake for $180....so I have almost $720 tied up in the SPS I have.....would it just be easier to sell and get a Sendero?

[ QUOTE ]
This is totally just asking for opinions but should I just sell the gun (instead of spending $350 for a new stock) and just buy a Sendero?

I payed $495 for the gun and added the brake for $180....so I have almost $720 tied up in the SPS I have.....would it just be easier to sell and get a Sendero?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup... I would.

You already have more in the gun that you should. At this point it is good money after badd.

I friend of mine shoots a Sendero 7mm Mag in 1000yd "F" class and does very well, often beating custom rifles.

I was interested in a new Sendero-II Flutie in .264, and he talked me into getting one. It is the best shooting, non-match rifle I have ever owned... (including Sakos), and runs with some of my 40XBs.

[ QUOTE ]
It is the best shooting, non-match rifle I have ever owned... (including Sakos), and runs with some of my 40XBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had similar results with the Senderos and VSSF's and other heavy barreled 700's. Other than cleaning them, most would test a full on custom rifle's patience. I have seen a few turds though but not many.

I was in the same boat as you with a ruger 300 win mag that I owned. I sold the Ruger and bought a 300 RUM Sendero and never looked back. It was the best move changing guns, my new one shoots like no other. I love the Sendero's shooting ability out of the box.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.