Building first custom rifle

you missed my favorite a 260 ackley just remember this component shortage may be here awhile choose something you can get ammo or loading components for it would suck to have a new rifle and nothing to shoot in it out of the ones mentioned I would go 6.5-284 or the 6.5 swede
Agree 100%. Built a 6.5Prc for a guy 4 months ago. Tried to talk him out of it solely for ammo/component issues. He's not found any Hornady or Fed match ammo since. Has founds some hunting rounds.

All your choices are sound but it's all a crap shoot now. Almost better to source ammo/components and let that determine what you build. And if Biden get Senate, things will get worse by far.

I'm sending $$ to Georgia right now. You might all consider doing the same.

Im sure all of those would be good choices. Some will shoot the heavy projectiles better though. The PRC will send the Berger 156 at a very nice speed as will the 6.5-284. I'm not very familiar with the rest. Have you selected your components yet? Short action, long action, weight, etc......

Looking at building my first custom gun, rifle will be used for primarily deer here in the south but I will take it out west for antelope/mule deer.

I really love the 260 rem cartridge so I'd like to stay in the 6.5 family but having a difficult time decideding which one.

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

Hit me with any and all suggestions yall might have. Doesn't have to stay 6.5 either thats just a happy home for me
If you are a hand loader my favorite is 6.5-06 , very easy to find loading dies and shells are cheap and fast to make when using 25-06 cases . I have shot mine at 825 yards all day with 140s and practicing at that range makes shooting 200 yards seem like a 50 yard shot :)

260 AI. Last I heard, there's still 260 ammo available. Whatever you build, make sure you build it on an action long enough to take advantage of the benefits of 140+ grain bullets. A standard Remington short action will not accommodate 6.5x284, .260 rem., etc with long bullets and a barrel throated for them.

Looking at building my first custom gun, rifle will be used for primarily deer here in the south but I will take it out west for antelope/mule deer.

I really love the 260 rem cartridge so I'd like to stay in the 6.5 family but having a difficult time decideding which one.

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

Hit me with any and all suggestions yall might have. Doesn't have to stay 6.5 either thats just a happy home for me
All are good choices, I run a .260 Rem and like everything about it. Deer don't like me with it!

but not going the be a "Creedmore guy" and say you're dumb if you don't shoot what I shoot.

Mr. GABulldog,

If you want to build on a short action repeater, watch out for the compatibility of the magazine length, VLD bullets and the chamber throat or lead. Your gunsmith will be able to sort this out with you. Cases like the 6.5-284 work better with a long action to realize their full potential.
I have had very good results from the 6.5x47 Lapua. It's very efficient and inherently accurate. Magazine length is never an issue.

If you hand load the 7SAW from West Texas Ordnance is an excellent cartridge. I have one and I can testify that they aren't fudging the numbers. It will do what they advertise. Crazy accurate and has enough horsepower for most anything short of maybe a Grizzly bear I would say. I am very impressed with mine. I might also suggest you check out the. Accuracy International AIAT rifles. Switch barrel and unbelievably accurate. That's what I hunt with and I love them.

I have a nose and an opinion...everyone has danced around the one cartridge that has the most components/ammo availability...the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Load them with the Barnes 127g LRX (or the 130g TSX) and I'm hearing/reading they will hit like a 6.5 PRC. (I did shoot my 9.5 pt buck last week with the 127g LRX...he traveled 50 yards due to poor bullet placement, but was dead by the time I got to him.)

I wouldn't be afraid to use this up to an elk/black bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts