Building first custom rifle

Gabulldog91

Looking at building my first custom gun, rifle will be used for primarily deer here in the south but I will take it out west for antelope/mule deer.

I really love the 260 rem cartridge so I'd like to stay in the 6.5 family but having a difficult time decideding which one.

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

Hit me with any and all suggestions yall might have. Doesn't have to stay 6.5 either thats just a happy home for me

you missed my favorite a 260 ackley just remember this component shortage may be here awhile choose something you can get ammo or loading components for, it would suck to have a new rifle and nothing to shoot in it, out of the ones mentioned I would go 6.5-284 or the 6.5 swede

Last edited:
Because of the shortages I am looking at the more efficient cartridges. The PRS guys shoot the 6mm BR and variants that are very capable and easy on powder. I am now looking at my powder shelf and calculating how many rounds per lb I can get instead of how many ft/lbs of energy on target.

7mm WSM

I recently found myself in the same situation you are. I don't own a stable of rifles, being from the midwest we are limited on what we can hunt with. After a couple hunts out west I sold my 300 WSM and built a 7mm WSM. I had no issues taking a bull elk at 325 yards this year and allows me some versatility on bullets. I can run a slightly heavier high BC bullet for elk, and Im looking at a lower weight, flat shooting option for a coues hunt im hopefully going on next year.

Your 6.5 PRC is a great option for deer and antelope. If elk end up on the menu many would suggest a 30 of some kind or at the least a 7mm.

Thinking outside the box . . . . . 300 PRC

You already have a bunch of 6.5's and a 7mm mag wouldn't be that big of a step up compared to a 6.5x55, 6.5 PRC, or 6.5x284. So you could jump into a 30 cal option that is designed to run heavy, high BC bullets. It may just surprise you how well they handle the wind and how hard they hit. Just a thought.

260ai and 6.5saum are my favorite 6.5's
For just deer and speed goats I'd stick with the 6.5.
Out west mule deer hunting usually involves a lot of hiking, so I'd try to keep it about 10lbs set up.
Don't do what I've done (more than once) and run a 28" barrel to try to squeeze out a few extra fps, its not worth it. If you do, don't flute the barrel so you can cut it down if you want.

All these options are great, I forgot to list the 260 AI. I already have a 338 for anything larger like elk or moose so im more so focusing on deer sized game. Really considering a 6.5x55 qnd the 260 AI. I already have stuff to load 6.5x55 so components wouldnt be an issue.

For deer and antelope try a fast twist 25 caliber. Always fun trying something new. I'm really enjoying my 25-284 with a 1-7-25" twist Helix 6 barrel. Shooting the 131 BJ at 3150 FPS. Just waiting on a heavier Absolute hammer to be released. Hopefully they will have something in the 125 gr range. Very little recoil with a high B.C. bullet take the 25 caliber to new levels.

Looking at building my first custom gun, rifle will be used for primarily deer here in the south but I will take it out west for antelope/mule deer.

I really love the 260 rem cartridge so I'd like to stay in the 6.5 family but having a difficult time decideding which one.

My current list:
1. 260 terminator
2. 6.5 PRC
3. .260 REM
4. 6.5X284
5. 6.5X55 SWEEDE

Hit me with any and all suggestions yall might have. Doesn't have to stay 6.5 either thats just a happy home for me
2506 Rem.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.