Building Custom Rifle Please Help!!!

DougDownRange

I am losing my mind trying to decide a color combination to go with. There are so many colors to choose from then patterns like Kryptek as well. Can you guys post some pics of your setups? trying to get some ideas.

The color of the rifle has not effect on how it shoots and range day is not a fashion show. If it's a camo job for hunting purposes just chose something that fits the areas you hunt in. If your hunting areas are varied in earth and vegetation colors just chose something in "earth tones" - CeraKote like this:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...-H265-Flat-Dark-Earth-and-H226-Patriot-Brown/

woud be ideal IMO.

Attachments

• finishedr700p1.jpg
    finishedr700p1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 284 Final.png
    284 Final.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 116
You don't say the color doesn't affect how it shoots, I had no idea... Man thanks a lot! I was worried that the wrong color would cause bad groupings.

May not affect how it shoots...........but I never take any chances :rolleyes:. My theory is if it looks good it works good. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder so in the end it will be whatever you like the best. I like wood so most all of my rifles have either straight wood or laminate stocks. If I was going with a fiberglass stock I like a clean look, something like this

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/new-300wm-elkhorn-precision-rifles-150872/

On the other hand, when I find a LH action to build off for my wife's rifle I have been informed it is going to look like this. Good thing we shoot at a private range :)

Attachments

• Beverly pattern.jpg
    Beverly pattern.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 127
I am a patriotic man, but the red/white/blue just don't blend in enough for me. So I went with the American flag in camo colors for mine.

Standard Manners T2A that I painted myself.

The highlights and shadows make it look a little more contoured than it really is.

Here are a few photos of the process.

Brand new out of the box.

Base colors of flat khaki, flat sage green, and a little of the stock Coyote Tan.

I masked off the stripes (the lighter areas) and hit it with corresponding flat Nutmeg, flat Spring Green, removed the masked areas, and lightly hit with flat Army Green for the shadows.

Then I masked off the back half, and added the star stencils. Hit with flat Army Green, and a few light Sage Green for highlights, and remove the masking and stencils.

Then after 4 light coats of flat clear. It deepened the colors a bit, and I like the final product.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.