Building a switch barrel rifle, slowly.

With all this being said, I'm also curious about purchasing everything. I have some really good names near me, Jon Beanland with beanland rifles, Steve Baldwin with mechanical accuracy, and Stewart rifles are all a stones throw away from my house. I'm always a fan of giving small/local businesses my money. Would it be offensive/a slap in the face if I reach out to one of these knowledgeable individuals and see if I can purchase some of my aforementioned parts off them, as opposed to direct from the manufacturer? I imagine many of these companies offer wholesale pricing to builders, which would allow me to hopefully pay roughly the same price as online, but spending that money locally.

You can try to do that but just brings another step in the process. Still buying from good companies if you buy direct. Also some smiths won't just be parts salesman and will only order parts if you are getting something built through them. You can check though if you feel that strongly about it but they probably won't do military pricing.

Here are my left over 80's vintage switch barrel lugs. The ground flat washer is what I used on one of my switch barrel hunting rifles, a 700 action. Had 2 bolts, one for 222 and the other was for the 308 and derivatives.

The half moon bottom one was for my hunter bench gun, not pinned either.

Changing barrels on both systems the ring may move, but not an issue, there no corners at the bottom to bear against the bedding material.

20220314_085433.jpg

So I've more or less finalized my plans with this build, now to start piecing things together and waiting for sales.

I'm also looking for any experiences with these stocks:

AG composites Alpine Hunter
AG composites Privateer
KRG bravo
AG composites Sportsman
Grayboe Phoenix

The list is more or less in order of what stocks I am most interested in. They all offer military discounts, which is a big plus. I've read some bad things about grayboe, which makes me hesitant to consider them. A guy over on rockslide snapped his stock in half after dropping it, I've head about some issues with foreend flex. I do like their hunter DBM, which I think I'll be getting. I've reached out on a forum local to me seeing if anyone has one of these stocks so I can physically put my hands on them, but I figure personal experiences will be helpful as well. Just to repeat myself, I'll be hunting with this rifle 90% of the time, and I cover a lot of distance on foot typically. I tend to shoot from a variety of positions, and typically when coyote hunting I use a mod7 hog saddle and a shadow tech tripod, if that makes any difference in choosing a stock.

So I've more or less finalized my plans with this build, now to start piecing things together and waiting for sales.

I'm also looking for any experiences with these stocks:

AG composites Alpine Hunter
AG composites Privateer
KRG bravo
AG composites Sportsman
Grayboe Phoenix

The list is more or less in order of what stocks I am most interested in. They all offer military discounts, which is a big plus. I've read some bad things about grayboe, which makes me hesitant to consider them. A guy over on rockslide snapped his stock in half after dropping it, I've head about some issues with foreend flex. I do like their hunter DBM, which I think I'll be getting. I've reached out on a forum local to me seeing if anyone has one of these stocks so I can physically put my hands on them, but I figure personal experiences will be helpful as well. Just to repeat myself, I'll be hunting with this rifle 90% of the time, and I cover a lot of distance on foot typically. I tend to shoot from a variety of positions, and typically when coyote hunting I use a mod7 hog saddle and a shadow tech tripod, if that makes any difference in choosing a stock.
I have the Alpine Hunter from AG Composites on my WTO switch lug 6.5 Prc - 300 WSM . I didn't bed it out of curiosity too see how it shot pillar bedded , it out shot my bedded rifles , so I didn't mess with it . I'm also going too order the AG Cat for the same set up. The only thing I did too the stock ,was fill in the bolt notch cut out and re cut it ,too more precisely fit my 60 degree bolt throw on my Curtis Axiom action . I also ordered some touch up paint from AG Composites . The AG folks are great too deal with .

With all this being said, I'm also curious about purchasing everything. I have some really good names near me, Jon Beanland with beanland rifles, Steve Baldwin with mechanical accuracy, and Stewart rifles are all a stones throw away from my house. I'm always a fan of giving small/local businesses my money. Would it be offensive/a slap in the face if I reach out to one of these knowledgeable individuals and see if I can purchase some of my aforementioned parts off them, as opposed to direct from the manufacturer? I imagine many of these companies offer wholesale pricing to builders, which would allow me to hopefully pay roughly the same price as online, but spending that money locally.
I have 4 rifles built by Jon Beanland. The Zermatt actions he recommends are precise enough they can be used as switch barrel rifles without the barrel nut, if you are so inclined. All of my rifles shoot under 0.25 MOA and 3 have shot under 0.1 MOA groups with good range conditions. As you know those conditions are rare here in OK.

I have 4 rifles built by Jon Beanland. The Zermatt actions he recommends are precise enough they can be used as switch barrel rifles without the barrel nut, if you are so inclined. All of my rifles shoot under 0.25 MOA and 3 have shot under 0.1 MOA groups with good range conditions. As you know those conditions are rare here in OK.
Thats the truth. Do you know if Mr. Beanland will sell components, or would that be contingent on him getting to build the rifle? I figure I would ask before calling him about it.

I've been down the switch barrel road myself. It is certainly a great option for some folks. I used a Bighorn TL3. Fantastic action.

But...what I ran into was that the barrel I wanted was not on the gun when I wanted it on...and I didn't have time to confirm zero prior to needing the rifle.

I've come to terms with the fact that for my current situation, I prefer to have a rifle ready to go all the time. I'd rather have two value rifles like Ruger american's or Mossbergs that are ready to go, than have one custom that has the wrong barrel on the night before needing the other barrel. But, if you're going to twist on barrel on and leave it for a while....nothing wrong with switch barrels.

No wrong answer here...buy/build what you want that meets your needs. You can kill game/paper punch/ring steel with cheapo's and bespoke rifles alike. The important part is you knowing how to use it!!!!

I've been down the switch barrel road myself. It is certainly a great option for some folks. I used a Bighorn TL3. Fantastic action.

But...what I ran into was that the barrel I wanted was not on the gun when I wanted it on...and I didn't have time to confirm zero prior to needing the rifle.

I've come to terms with the fact that for my current situation, I prefer to have a rifle ready to go all the time. I'd rather have two value rifles like Ruger american's or Mossbergs that are ready to go, than have one custom that has the wrong barrel on the night before needing the other barrel. But, if you're going to twist on barrel on and leave it for a while....nothing wrong with switch barrels.

No wrong answer here...buy/build what you want that meets your needs. You can kill game/paper punch/ring steel with cheapo's and bespoke rifles alike. The important part is you knowing how to use it!!!!
I can understand that, and have thought long and hard on the same question. I typically bring 2 or 3 rifles with me when hunting, usually a rifle for what I'm hunting (squirrels,deer, etc) and a pig gun. This rifle I'm looking to build will primarily be used as a predator hunting rifle in 223, but I did want to flexibility to change calibers if needed. I have rifles for everything else I hunt, but the switch barrel idea helps me keep things flexible and justifies the cost in my mind.