Building A Rifle This Easy?

Anyone who can dispatch hogs with the proficiency I believe I have seen from your posts should be able to handle a savage barrel swap with zero problem.
Get the tools- you will find uses for them. If you're near Dallas, I have a barrel vice and nut wrench you can borrow. My action wrench is for a Rem700 but I think I read it might work? I have done swaps for a Remage, not a savage, but is the same thing and is a breeze.

pretty easy to build yourself even if you're even a little bit mechanically inclined. i've probably built 15+ AR's so i figured this would be pretty easy. cabelas had 700 ADL's on sale for $319 after mail in rebate, i was in it less than $300 after i took the barrel off and sold it to someone on here. i threw on a 16", 1-10, .308 barrel from KAK industries that used the savage style nut. i bought a go-gauge from brownells and put a piece of cellophane tape on the back to act as a no-go gauge. i built a barrel vise with some 2x2x.250 wall box tube i had laying around and two 5/8" bolts. found an action wrench from somewhere online and the barrel came with a nut and wrench. it's not a tack driver but it'll shoot 1moa and that's all i need. i only use it to hunt whitetails and run my suppressor.
Nice build.

Anyone who can dispatch hogs with the proficiency I believe I have seen from your posts should be able to handle a savage barrel swap with zero problem.
Get the tools- you will find uses for them. If you're near Dallas, I have a barrel vice and nut wrench you can borrow. My action wrench is for a Rem700 but I think I read it might work? I have done swaps for a Remage, not a savage, but is the same thing and is a breeze.
I'm hunting this weekend m. Yes I am just North of Dallas. Thanks man.

One of the biggest advantage of owning a savage is the ability to do barrel swaps with very little investment. I want to caution you of a few things....1. The sort of things that you are doing, if not done properly, can be dangerous to you, physically, and economically. Be sure you do lots of homework, and ask lots of questions, and stop if you have any doubts about what you are doing. 2. I've not personally not built a 22-250 on a long action, so i don't know how well it actually works. If done right it will definately go bang, and will probably eject just fine. However, one of the finer points of custom rifle building is getting the rifle to feed properly and reliably. If you are willing to toy around with different followers, and such, I'm sure you can make it work. 3. Lastly, and maybe the most stern warning I can give you is to apply lots of bug spray before starting your build. If you happen to get bit by the barrel swap bug, it will detrimental to your personal finances as well as those of all of your friends. It can also be damaging to your marriage when you struggle to restrain yourself from making purchases of cool swap barrels. Lastly, you may have trouble keeping your job when you are up all night searching forums looking for cool barrels to swap, and can't be effective in your every day work life. Consider yourself warned. If you need any advice please reach out.
No truer words ever spoken.

3. Lastly, and maybe the most stern warning I can give you is to apply lots of bug spray before starting your build. If you happen to get bit by the barrel swap bug, it will detrimental to your personal finances as well as those of all of your friends. It can also be damaging to your marriage when you struggle to restrain yourself from making purchases of cool swap barrels. Lastly, you may have trouble keeping your job when you are up all night searching forums looking for cool barrels to swap, and can't be effective in your every day work life. Consider yourself warned. If you need any advice please reach out.
quite true, i'm already assembling my next build on a terminous kratos and proof barrel in my head. i caught a wicked case of BRD (black rifle disease) in 2014 that i can't seem to shake. with the ammo shortage over the last year, it's subsided a little but there's still an itch there. i guess i'm just trading one addiction for another.

Something to consider, the 22, 6 mm, 25 Creedmoor , or 220 Swift may be a better fit in your standard action and all are faster than the 22-250. Don't get me wrong, the 22-250 is great, but without a longer chamber lead you won't be able to get the most out of the 1 in 8 twist. I'd go even faster with 1 in 6.5 to 1 in 7. The same is true for the other cartridges I recommended.

Something to consider, the 22, 6 mm, 25 Creedmoor , or 220 Swift may be a better fit in your standard action and all are faster than the 22-250. Don't get me wrong, the 22-250 is great, but without a longer chamber lead you won't be able to get the most out of the 1 in 8 twist. I'd go even faster with 1 in 6.5 to 1 in 7. The same is true for the other cartridges I recommended.
What kind of barrel life would you get out of a 22-250 with a 1-6.5 twist barrel?

My guess would be 600 rounds.

I've had a Savage 110 Long Action sitting around for over 5 years. I've started a build/parts list.
I've also been itching for a 22-250.
What am I missing.? I'm debating parts versus my builder doing it. His starting labor price is $250.00. Part of me really want to try it myself. I'm not looking for a precision custom build (reason I'm avoiding my builder).
I'm also thinking I could ask around for tools for a one time build.
View attachment 272548
My two pennies worth here. I've done two prefit barrels from XCaliber in Montana. One went on a Savage and the other on a Tikka and getting ready to do a Remington and another Savage. A barrel vice and the right wrenches are a good idea because you won't hurt the barrel or nuts but that is just me. I was a mechanic for 40 plus years so the right tools for the job like taking a Louisville slugger to a gun fight

Two things that I'd add to your shopping list, a quality, parallel ground recoil lug and a quality barrel nut. PTG (if you have patience) and Northland both have nice stuff. Others do too, I'll bet. Worth looking to see what Brownell's has. Midway can be a good source for PTG IF they have what you want in stock.

For when the adiction kicks in: over time I have ended up with most of the PTG Savage Action truing tools and have modified a couple of them and made additional pieces to do things like lap the receiver lugs square and smooth and hold the action in the lathe to face it.

Not a fan of Wheeler anything, I'd look to see what Northland offers.

I hate to be that guy, but I guess I'm being that guy who is a little off topic. Please consider the 22 Creedmoor with a 1:8 twist. Depending on what freebore you get it can take a range of bullets an open you up to some very long range varmint hunting (So can a 22-250 speced the same but you are gaining app. 150 fps). It's like a 22-250 Ackley Improved without the fire forming. Best of luck in whatever you decide and I am sure the proven 22-250 will serve well if that's what you go with.

I've done several calibers on the 110 action.
As stated before Northland Shooters Supply has everything needed.
*** Clean up the mating surface where new lug will contact the receiver and re-check nut torque after a few range visits!!!
Things can go wonky if not... I learned by having the nut loosen a bit after firing and cause accuracy issues because of a bur on receiver that created false surface contact.
Nothing major... easy fix! And be prepared for the addiction!!

I tried a 22-250 on a remjngton long action and it wouldn't feed. You don't have to swap the barrel to test that part. I'm sure I could have jury rigged something to get it to work, but my solution was to buy another short action for the 22-250 and keep the long action for another barrel :)