Building a prs rifle, trying to determine cal, 6.5x47 lapua or 6.5 creedmoor

I have 2 lots of 6.5 creed factory ammo and one runs 140s at .303 the other is .319 there is quite a flux from lot to lot and barrel to barrel. BC is very twist rate and bore diameter sensitive
Yeah and with my lot of 147s I was down to .312 but that was kind of a ballpark, I had 100 and that got me close enough for 1/2 mile shooting I never bothered fine tuning it

Interesting. I use the 4dof and I ran them at 2825 and they hit dead on at 1000. The 140 eld is the only one I've taken past and theres no doubt the bc on that bullet is true.
4 Dof uses a Doppler radar file. Use the BC on the box with a BC related solver like AB in a Kestrel and you will struggle with a 351 G7

4 Dof uses a Doppler radar file. Use the BC on the box with a BC related solver like AB in a Kestrel and you will struggle with a 351 G7
Makes sense. I'll have to try it sometime. 4dof for me is very accurate so I haven't bothered playing around with any other calculator. I've been kicking around the idea of a 6mm as I'm getting into prs this summer in New England. Just not sure I want to part the 6.5 since I have all the stuff for it.

Makes sense. I'll have to try it sometime. 4dof for me is very accurate so I haven't bothered playing around with any other calculator. I've been kicking around the idea of a 6mm as I'm getting into prs this summer in New England. Just not sure I want to part the 6.5 since I have all the stuff for it.
4 Dof is the ****!!! Doppler files will be the norm soon and the whole BC inflation deflation thing to sell bullets will be long gone.

I'm currently building another PRS rifle. The chassis should be here in a couple of weeks, the action, another couple months. Weight should come in at approx. 17# with Bipod/loaded.

-MPA Competition Chassis
-Bighorn TL3 SA
-Criterion 26" MTU 1:8, with barrel nut, 6.5x47
-Hellfire 419 Muzzle Brake
-Huber Concepts 2 stage 1.4# 50:50
-NF Light Duty Rings
-Nightforce ATACR F1 Tremor3

Just curious as to why prs guys choose the x47 over the creed when it comes to 6.5s? The creed has alittle more capacity and way better brass availability. From what I've read it's to do with the x47 being really easy to tune and get low sd and es spreads.

Just curious as to why prs guys choose the x47 over the creed when it comes to 6.5s? The creed has alittle more capacity and way better brass availability. From what I've read it's to do with the x47 being really easy to tune and get low said and es spreads.

I have been shooting PRS for a few years.......................... As to the difference between the 6,5CM and 6.5x47, performance wise, either will get the job done well. If you don't reload, the 6.5CM is an obvious choice. I have switched to the 6.5x47 for a few reasons. It's very easy to load using H4350 or Varget, and achieves exceptional accuracy with a variety of bullets, at low ES. IMO, the case design is superb, with 100 cases easily lasting the life of the barrel. The shorter case feeds perfectly, and easily accomodates the longer bullets without magazine length issues.
Shown: My 6.5x47 PRS rifle. It's a pretty consistent .25MOA shooter...better, if I'm on my game. Groups at 400 rounds(3 shot), and 1800 rounds(5 shot). My Criterion barreled Egg Shooter is equally accurate with the same load.
View attachment 125229 View attachment 125232 View attachment 125234 View attachment 125248

Some comments(above) about my particular rationale in a prior post in this thread. Owning both the 6.5CM and 6.5x47 the reasons you cite are quite valid...plus a few more as described in that post. Lapua brass is very readily available. While it costs more, the combination of consistency, case life, and ease of ongoing prep, IMO these attributes negate the price difference(I also, use Lapua in my 6.5CM realizing comparable benefits.for heavy competition work). Quite frankly, while I prefer the '47 over the CM for PRS, for hunting use, I would likely go for the CM for the larger case capacity you mention, enabling use of the slower powders, and greater velocity/energy, particularly with the heavier bullets(+140g). For PRS, I use 130-140gr bullets. Having said that, for the last few years I have been very satisfied, standardizing on the 6.5x47 for competitive sports, and +3000FPS velocity of the 6.5x284 for my LR hunting cartridge which I feel demonstrates many of the attributes of the 6.5x47 and makes for a great combo in 6.5 capability. IMO.

Just curious as to why prs guys choose the x47 over the creed when it comes to 6.5s? The creed has alittle more capacity and way better brass availability. From what I've read it's to do with the x47 being really easy to tune and get low sd and es spreads.
Up until last year the brass for the 47 was way, way better

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.