Building a personal 1K range. What direction?

No better way in the world to screw up groups at 1000 than to shoot directly into or away from the wind.

Tod
Please explain as directly into or with the wind would seemingly eliminate point of impact changes due to the wind blowing bullets sideways varying amounts.

Don't worry about the wind as long as it is Constant. You can adjust for it. When it up then down and swirling is when there is problems. A Constant wind is no problem. Here in central Texas the wind is always blowing. Our range is set up to shoot South. That was our only way to set it up.

Please explain as directly into or with the wind would seemingly eliminate point of impact changes due to the wind blowing bullets sideways varying amounts.

Oh my god...I already typed a 200 word disertation....with followup. What more do you want?

Tod

Don't worry about the wind as long as it is Constant. You can adjust for it. When it up then down and swirling is when there is problems. A Constant wind is no problem. Here in central Texas the wind is always blowing. Our range is set up to shoot South. That was our only way to set it up.
I've lived From Erath to Comanche, Parker, Lamb, Grew up in Parmer and settled here in Baylor.

Two constants in wind in most of Texas, it's either blowing or about to and as soon as you think you have it dialed in it will change.

Set up where you'll have the least issues with the sun and wind to get the basics down, load work ups and such and then work on the wind calls and touch wind conditions.

If you don't have a good load and good base data to work from the more variables you add the tougher it will be.

Lots of things are, out of our control but if you can move, you can pick your spot and your wind. Straight on or 90'degrees for me as the calculations are just easier.
If and when you're ready for a bigger challenge move to where it becomes more challenging or go to another range or just set up on a fallow field and start busting random rocks.

To get the most use out of your range, orient it as close to North as you can, (in Northern Hemisphere). As you stated, your range is UN-usable in the mornings facing East. Aiming to the North will allow you to shoot at anytime of the day. Learn how to read and deal with the other factors.

My 1000 yd range is in west Texas where the predominant wind is out of the SSW and we lined it up into the wind so as to minimize wind deflection on more days than not.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts