Building a new rig...

JCM

I am building a new longrange hunting gun, what do you guys think of it or what else could be done?

6.5x55 Ackley Improved
Barnard model S action
Timney trigger
Barnard 25 MOA bases
Krieger #7 ss bbl
Vais brake
Mcmillan Hunter BR stock
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50
Scope level
Nightforce rings
Harris Bipod

What does this setup sound like?

what twist, length, muzzle diameter barrel?

8 twist will allow up to the Sierra 142 and Clinch River 147s.

why the 2.5 inch hunter stock?

Why the Barnard S action, not normally known as a hunting action. Stiller Predator, Lawton 7500 might be better choices.

The 6.5x55 AI is a great round.

BH

You may want to look into a different brake. I have a Vias on a 300WM and it helps with felt recoil but that rifle jumps all over and makes one hell of a dust cloud when shooting prone. I would look into a brake that reduces felt recoil and also helps muzzle rise. I have not shot one yet but I am putting a defensive edge on my new 300WM and 338 Lapua.

The twist will be 1-8 to suit the Berger 140gr
26 inch bbl with .750 muzzle
I chose that stock as it will also be shot off bags
and I have easy access to Barnard actions

What type of bedding have you guys found to work best?

I understand the reason for the Barnard and think it will work fine. The vais break would not be my first choice, but will work.

Out of the items you listed, the only one I think is really a bad choice is the stock. I tried a hunter BR stock early in my custom rifle building and hated it. It is the worst of both worlds. Didn't feel good in the field as the 2.25" stock is cumbersome, but didn't ride my front bag as well as I'd hoped.

Get a tactical stock or something with a little beaver-tail. It will ride the bags well enough and feel much better in the field.

Unless you plan on missing with your first shot, I would ditch the brake. You will have enough rifle wieght that recoil shooting prone will be minimal. The only reason for the brake would be for the possibility of spotting your shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.