Building A Do All Factory Ammo Rifle

No such thing-universal means to me that it is good at different things but doesn't do everything well. Universal bore guide.its ok if you don't have the one you need but this my opinion and not intended to get Anyone madd just my opinion. I had to buy another gun yesterday because I didn't have the one I needed ask my wife.But by all means build another gun that you need.Love everyone they might not be here tomorrow to listen to your stories and tell you theirs

Hey guys, Ive got the itch to build a new rifle. I have plans to build a new 7saum ultralight mountain rifle, but recently had a thought, what about building an all around do all hunting rifle that I can shoot readily avalible factory hunting ammo from. (I know readily available is a stretch now). I was thinking something like 7mag or 300 win mag. Something that you could find ammo for locally from Africa to Canada. I travel and hunt quite a bit and plan on continuing to do so, and don't get me wrong I Love my 28 nosler, and I like to reload, but having something that I can just buy ammo and shoot would be nice too. Let me know if you guys have done something like this or have any suggestions.
Factory ammo is too inconsistent from lot-to-lot and would rarely print the same.
I wouldn't think it would matter that the rifle is custom built, it would still be a crap shoot to find a consistent lot of ammo.
Better to buy a quality rifle off the rack, tune it, dial it in, and handload in bulk.
IMHO

Best do it all caliber that I ended up keeping around is 300wsm. Factory loads almost everywhere. Shave a little weight and bolt throw over standard magnum. I found a 180gr Norma bondstrike load that shoots .5 from my carbon classic. All this said. I would never recommend only owning one.

For me there is no such thing as a do all rifle. But the 3 most common hunting rounds I seem to find every where I have witnessed is 223 Remington, 308 Winchester and 300 Winchester magnum. Your choice of calibre will depend on the game you intend to hunt. For me it would be a match barreled and chambered action in 308 Winchester. I would also have a barrel tuner fitted.

You are describing a 308 Win. IF you can shoot well you can kill most anything out to 700 with one. I know it's not sexy but it is deadly. Not necessary to build a custom. A Savage 10FCP set in an HS Precision stock will group around 1/2 all day long with 185s and light enough to carry anywhere. It might not be as smooth as a Bat or Panda or even a nice custom Remington but will get the job done nicely. I have a nice one, all broke in and ready to go with a tough as hell MK4 6.5x20x50 FFP with Mil knobs and reticle that I'll sell you and I guarantee will do that for a very reasonable price. These days, good luck finding ammo anywhere.

Well Remington had a great idea when the made the 300 ultra mag.
You can buy 150gr. ammo for your light animals and run 180 gr to medium size critters and if your feeling frisky for a Bear just grab some 200 gr or larger for him !
I have 40 plus mounts on.the wall and most were shot with a factory 300 Stainless Rum !

Rum Man

The 7mm magnum is the most popular magnum, so I'd assume you could buy ammo for it almost anywhere. I've used my 7mm WSM with 168 Bergers for javelina, aoudad, antelope, deer, and elk with perfect results. If I were going after elephant or brown bear, I might want a bigger caliber, but I know I shoot better with less recoil. The advantage of the SAUM would be a short action and no belt.

I've had an Alamo Precision 300 WM for about a year now, it shoots Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Accubonds as well as any handload I can come up with. pretty consistent 1/2 moa. I could sell all my reloading stuff and just hunt with the factory load for the rest of my days and never need anything else.
What model did you get? What are the specs of your rifle? I'm thinking about ordering a 300 WM from them as well
Thanks

One gun for everything from range to Africa would have to be 7 WSM for me. 6 months ago I would have said you couldn't find factory ammo for it, but then I stumbled on some Hornady Precision Hunter in a LGS. The 162 grain ELD-X from those print almost right on top of my handloaded 180 bergers at 100 and 200 and will group around .5 moa all day long. However, if you're trying to solve the old "what if my luggage is lost and I need to find ammo" question, I would think the 308 or 300 WM would have to be the answer.

Hey guys, Ive got the itch to build a new rifle. I have plans to build a new 7saum ultralight mountain rifle, but recently had a thought, what about building an all around do all hunting rifle that I can shoot readily avalible factory hunting ammo from. (I know readily available is a stretch now). I was thinking something like 7mag or 300 win mag. Something that you could find ammo for locally from Africa to Canada. I travel and hunt quite a bit and plan on continuing to do so, and don't get me wrong I Love my 28 nosler, and I like to reload, but having something that I can just buy ammo and shoot would be nice too. Let me know if you guys have done something like this or have any suggestions.
If I was to build a custom that I could get ammo from anywhere a 270 Winchester but with a 8 twist barrel would be a strong consideration. Could shoot heavy for calibre like the 270 Western but also shoot readily available off the shelf ammo. Capable for small to large American and African continent.

300 WSM gets my vote. Oodles of Factory ammo available with numerous choices of bullets. From basic factory ammo to very high quality semi-custom loads.

On another note, I just built something that I am just finishing up but it's a switch barrel rifle. I used a Kelbly Atlas Tactical action, Bix N Andy trigger, Grayboe Trekker stock and bottom metal. Prefit Preferred barrels in 308 - 18" barrel, and a 22"- 7mm-08 barrel with plans to order a 358 Winchester barrel. Working on a travel case for this also. Numerous factory ammo options. Anyways....