Building a custom rifle

Lonewolf74

Hey guy's I'm wanting to dive into getting a custom rifle built and possibly somewhat putting it together myself so I have a question of what all do I need to consider?

I'm wanting a long range rifle with a little bit of a tactical configuration to it and I'm wanting to keep cost down as much as possible, hoping to build it for around $2500. I'm leaning towered PTG or Pierce action or a trued remington 700 action if it will really save me much in the long run.

I'm not sure on a barrel cus it seems there's lots of good one's to choose from and my local smith has his recommendation.

I also want to go with PTG bottom metal and the larger 3.85 magazine so I can play around with longer bullets and where I seat them but I'm not sure on what to choose exactly. I'm gonna go with either a 300 wm or 30 nosler for caliber so how long a box is necessary? If I went with Wyatt's extended box would there need to be modification to any bottom metal or do they make a bottom metal set up for the extended box? And does the action need inletting for any of these bottom metal set ups?

You can do that if you take time and source your own parts by watching for deals on the next here, snipershide, 24 hour campfire , AR15.com and accurate shooter. You can save a good bit by just watching for the deals on someone moving the items and wants money.

I would not bother with a remington action and waste money truing it up adding the bolt knob etc. Just buy the custom and be happy. You will not save money and more importantly you will not be happy in the long run with trued remington.

Custom action- $750-1200
Barrel- Brux or Bartlein $300-340
Trigger- Timney or Rifle Basics $150
Stock- $200-700 depending on what you want $200 Stockys tactical to $700 Manners
20 MOA base and rings -EGW $150-175 No need for $400 rings and bases
Used Rem bottom metal and add wyatts extended mag box- $100 or PTG add another $25-50 depending
Misc parts/work such as action screws, lugs etc -$100

I personally like to order my own reamer to my specs. Saves money later if you rechamber or rebarrel as dies should fit and you can always sell it. Cost $150

I have use Bostrom Gunsmithing in Florida for last two builds. Call and talk to Eric. I sent all my parts and completed rifle was back at my door in 3 weeks from day I sent the parts. I had to wait once for a month before sending it as they were back up and cost for each was around $650 for shipping, insurance, chambering, bedding and muzzle threading etc. Top notch smith for LR competition and hunting rifles.

Lot of times you can find a real deal on a finished rifle. Take this one for example, right at your price. Plus you can post WTB ads here and elsewhere for actions barrels stocks etc and you will get numerous offers.

Bighorn TL2 6.5 Creedmoor | Shooters' Forum

Thanks a lot for the input and digging around for deals on parts is what I've been doing and I talked to JP ystrdy and want to get one of his reamers and go that route too.

Another question I have with the Wyatt's extended box. Is it a box that I can just modify stock remington bottom metal to use it on? Like it would replace the stock mag, not be a whole bottom metal set up like the PTG?

Lonewolf74,

You can skip the Wyatts box and the alterations. Use the PTG bottom metal and the longer 3.850" magazines.

Loading either of the two cartridges with the 230 gr. Berger Hybrid leaves little of the bullet shank in the neck when the bullet is seated out to 3.850". You can seat nearly 0.300" of that bullet shank in the neck and basically be at 3.650" OAL and the boattail is in the shoulder.

Now this will change if you decide to use the monometallic, lathe turned bullets in the longer VLDs. But you have about 0.200" to play with based on the magazine length.

Regards.

Lonewolf74,

You can skip the Wyatts box and the alterations. Use the PTG bottom metal and the longer 3.850" magazines.

Loading either of the two cartridges with the 230 gr. Berger Hybrid leaves little of the bullet shank in the neck when the bullet is seated out to 3.850". You can seat nearly 0.300" of that bullet shank in the neck and basically be at 3.650" OAL and the boattail is in the shoulder.

Now this will change if you decide to use the monometallic, lathe turned bullets in the longer VLDs. But you have about 0.200" to play with based on the magazine length.

Regards.

Yea this was the route I was gonna go but after talking to a smith and doing a lot of thinking I'm not so sure I want that set up especially the clip sticking out the bottom like that. Ultimately it's going to be a hunting rifle that I do some long range plinking with so it should be a cleaner gun. If I can get a 2-3 round mag from AICS in that 3.850 size then it might be a great route to go, just have the 5 round for plinking or if I try some comp then the small mag for hunting. Anyone know if that's available?

I don't know of any 2- or 3-round magazines for the AICS pattern floor plates. Ruger makes one for their Scout rifle but that's it as far as I know.

If you choose to use the longest Wyatts box then you will have to modify not only the bolt stop but the action as well:

The receiver and bolt stop must be altered to use this box. Alteration is the same as used on the MBE-3 box.

MBE-3 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

If you don't need that length (see above), you can use the shorter magazine box and save the work on the action and bolt stop.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.