Building a custom rifle help

Recommend you look at a Remington rifle. Why? You will be under budget with a Remington Sendero and at around 1200 bucks, it gives you budget to upgrade your trigger, perhaps change your bbl to a custom twist and bed the action. Remington is the most common of all actions and are infinitely upgradable with parts and accessories everywhere so as you get better over time, your rifle can get better with you.
I have done this myself with great results!

I've already got Remingtons, Bergara's and Christensen's. I've always stuck with the Remington 700 and clones because of all the stuff you can do with them. I've always just gone the factory route and wanted to try something new is all.

I've already got Remingtons, Bergara's and Christensen's. I've always stuck with the Remington 700 and clones because of all the stuff you can do with them. I've always just gone the factory route and wanted to try something new is all.
I'll offer another option. Start with a Tikka (new or used). Add a Bartlein barrel from redhawk or bugholes and a Mesa Precision stock. If you are patient and find a decent deal on a used Tikka, you could do this within your budget and have a stellar, lightweight rifle.

Ok, would have been good to know that up front. My next suggestion would be wait until you can put together a fully custom rifle - something that is purpose built with components that are all of the same high quality and designed to work well together - the ones you listed will all need something along the way - maybe a bbl, a trigger, or some other work to make them go. You may end up soending the 5 grand anyway so why not save and just do it once?

I have a Springfield Armory 2020 waypoint. Super accurate, easy to carry, took it on several hunts this fall, and loved it! I hiked 8-12 miles each day and it was enjoyable to carry. I can't build a custom rifle like that for the price, and I have multiple custom builds.
Looking at both the 2020 and Mountain 2.0….in 6.5 PRC. This is for elk/mulie hunting and some LR work for fun. Will be following….

I'll offer another option. Start with a Tikka (new or used). Add a Bartlein barrel from redhawk or bugholes and a Mesa Precision stock. If you are patient and find a decent deal on a used Tikka, you could do this within your budget and have a stellar, lightweight rifle.
I just don't get it! Why put Cadillac parts on a yugo

You do know that Tikka actions are machined at a much tighter tolerances than most Remington 700 actions right? In fact most gunsmith find that you do not even need to true a Tikka action.
Some Tikka actions Might be machined......when you buy the whole rifle for less than you pay for a good action, you tell me its Machined Better.....I am NOT drinking the coolaid.

View attachment 314558So I am thinking more along the line of a "semi custom" build I guess. Was thinking of a Bighorn Origin barreled action from PVA and putting it into a Grayboe Phoenix and adding a triggertech trigger. Anyone have any experience with the Bighorn origin barreled actions?

Yes. Built my daughter one with a 16.5" Proof in a 6.5CM and 22" Proof in a 6.5PRC, and I'm building myself a light weight hunter 22" CF Bartlien in a 308 on an Origin.

For the features you get at the price you get them, the Bighorn Origin is hard to beat. Actions smooth, Prefits readily available and the ability to run every SA caliber from 223- Short Mag with nothing more than a barrel and Bolthead swap.

Being I went with carbon fiber barrels, the barrels actions ran me about $1800-$1900. You could save quite a bit of money going with a SS and even more if your went with a criterion pre-fit.

Attachments

• 0FC570D0-9494-4848-B4B7-6E7BA90AF808.jpeg
    0FC570D0-9494-4848-B4B7-6E7BA90AF808.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Which part is the Yugo? The Tikka action? Probably because is is a light accurate action. Maybe I misunderstood your point.
Let's look at things objectively. Tikka is made aby Sako (Both owned by Beretta now). I don't think anyone will argue about the quality of a Sako rifle, but just because it also makes the Tikka, you dont get the same quality and still sell it at half price. Tikka is the entry level for the masses, like yugo was, or like your a Toyota Yaris vs a Lexus IS. Both made by Toyota, but not to the same standard.
If it were ME, and I was going to spend that kind of money to built a custom rifle, I would go with a better action. That is my opinion!

P.S.
After reading again the OP, again, if it were me, I could NOT build a custom for his price, (my definition of custom requires higher quality), so I would probably buy a quality rifle. Again, that would be ME, you dont have to agree, you just have different likes and standards.

Last edited:
SA Bighorn Origin w/Bolt head $875
Criterion Pre-Fit Barrel $375
Mesa Altutude Stock. $575-$675
BDL BM $100
Trigger $150

Total = $2175.00

Pretty close to your budgets Obviously there's gonna be some tax / shipping but you could find some deals on parts used as well. I just picked up an Origin for $800 and a Mesa Stock $575, so there's some deals out there if you you're looking

That is my opinion!
Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but didn't want to guess. Each person has to decide what custom is for themselves.

I was a little stumped because the goal seemed to be to build a light rifle. Tikka is heavy for ultra light actions, but would be less than 1/2 the price of a light action.
Add a light custom slim, short barrel (Pacnor lightweight contour 18") and a custom 24 oz stock inlet for a Tikka action and you have a pretty light, pretty cheap custom rifle that could shoot as well as any light rifle and only be a few ozs heavier. I think you could get under 8lbs ttl maybe.

I've changed my direction and am now looking into a Seekins Havak instead for hunting/long range play
That one was another I looked into….mostly great reviews. A buddy works for a distributor for Springfield….told me to hold off until I could put my hands on the Waypoint. His choice was Springfield, Bergara and Seekins….in that order.