Building a 7mm rem mag

buck5611

Hi. I have been reading for a long time and think this is the best place to get advice.
I plan to build a long range rifle based on a Rem. 700 action, a Krieger 28 inch barrel with 1 to 8 or 1 to nine twist made for the 180 Berger vld. I also plan to put a NightForce scope on it.
One of my friend who is competition shooter, told me that with that twist, the recoil is very high and no fun to shoot. Is it the case? I shoot 300 mag and 325 wsm without problems.
I reload for a while but cannot say I'm ready for bench rest yet. Is there any possibilities that I get good result with this rifle by doing just basic reloading or do I have to go to bench rest reloading techniques like neck turning and using bushing dies?
In fact, may be I will never need to shoot long range but I want to be able to take a moose at 600 to 800 yrds if the occasion occurs, or just shooting metal plate for fun at these distances.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Buck5611

With a 28" barrel your going to need a pretty heavy contour, i'd go sendero contour, and with a decent stock and a nightforce your rifle will likely be over 12#s so recoil will not be that bad, if you think it is you can buy a Vias break and have itt installed for 150-175$. If 180 bergers is your main choice get a 1 in 9 twist. You can get away with a redding 3 die set, full lengthing the first time and neck sizing after with quality brass, and playing with the seating depth. On another note you can do better with a competition bushing die set with a micrometer seater die, neck turning for run out, and polishng the inside of the case necks, all this aids in get your extreme spreads down and that makes a bigger difference the further you shoot. Stock up on Retumbo and fed210m's, maybe some norma brass. That can get you a solid accurate 3050fps at that barrel length. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.