Building a 6.5 PRC, annnnndddd there’s no bullets.

I saw Remington magnum primers yesterday in a shop locally. I've never used them so I didn't buy them. Last time we went through this, I hoarded enough components to keep my rifles going. (Not to profit like some @#%##%s). It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I even noticed what was going on. That was only because I had a rifle re-barreled , and it didn't like my old recipe. I've got about 40 loaded rounds for it until I'm out of biz, unless I can find some Magpro and 210 LRAB's. If you go across the border I can probably spare a couple primers for you.

There's 6.5 PRC at my local academy, gun shop, and bass pro. I think it's the 147 grain precision hunters. I can look around at my next outing and pick you up some. I'll hook up a fellow 12B. SLTW

The ammo that's out are the neckbeard, moms basement, would have joined delta but I have gout go to ammo of .308 win excuse me I mean 7.62x51, 5.56, 7.62x39, .300Blackout (300whisper for you edgy, hipster types), and the tried and true 9mm.

RL 26 is your best best in a CM. I easily achieved 2900 with 147 eldm's in a 24" Tikka. Guys getting into reloading now are going to be a little discouraged for sometime.... 28" should have no problem getting 3000 fps.
How many grains of powder to get that fast? 50-55?

Cant find my data for the 147's at the moment, but here is my results with RL 26 and 140 grain eldm in a 24" tikka 6.5cm.

Attachments

• 20201204_204915.jpg
    20201204_204915.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 238
There's not much of any ammo that's easy to find at this point. I was able to score 1500 cci 250 primers yesterday. I'm going to my local shop later today and I'm pretty sure they've got 140 Berger's and some Hornady stuff also. I'll check and let you know. PM what components you need. I may be able to assist some from my personal inventory and help a LR brother out.

Last edited:
So I finally started a 6.5 PRC build on a blueprinted trued rem 700 action. Ordered a proof research barrel 28 inch. Things are looking good. Then I went to go buy ammo. Looking for 6.5 PRC 143gr eldx. Nah, fam.

if you can't find it, build it right?

ordered an RCBS kit with 6.5 PRC and 300WM dies. Easy, right? Nope. Can barely find the bullets (might pull from old 6.5 CM shells), no brass, and not a large rifle primer anywhere even for the highest bidder. Madness.

Any advice wound be appreciated to get a 6.5 143 grain bullet to fly out of a gun at near 3000fps. That was the goal of this project.
Saw the bullets and Hornady dies at my local Scheels and Fleet Farm just yesterday. 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm bullets are the only thing still on the shelves around here.

If I run a 28inch barrel and 140 grain loads what powder is appropriate for 6.5 CM without hitting the high pressure mark?
RL26 will get you there for sure out of a 28" pipe on a 6.5 Creedmoor. Maybe H4350 but you'd be pushing it. I'm confused though. Are wanting load data and components for a 65 PRC or a 65 Creedmoor?

So I finally started a 6.5 PRC build on a blueprinted trued rem 700 action. Ordered a proof research barrel 28 inch. Things are looking good. Then I went to go buy ammo. Looking for 6.5 PRC 143gr eldx. Nah, fam.

ordered an RCBS kit with 6.5 PRC and 300WM dies. Easy, right? Nope. Can barely find the bullets (might pull from old 6.5 CM shells), no brass, and not a large rifle primer anywhere even for the highest bidder. Madness.

Any advice wound be appreciated to get a 6.5 143 grain bullet to fly out of a gun at near 3000fps. That was the goal of this project.
Hey man - shoot me a PM. There's a shop here that has had pretty steady stock of Hornady 147 Match. I'd be happy to run out there and see if they've got any.

I think you're gonna love this rifle. I built mine and shot it last summer. I drank the 6.5 PRC coolaid and it was delicious and refreshing!

Two Things:

One, I'm a reloader, but have not reloaded for this gun yet. Still, somehow, I managed to accomplish my summer goal of consistently striking metal out to and including 2000 yards with this gun. I shoot at the Cameo Shooting Complex near Grand Junction, Colorado. They have an outstanding LR metal range. I hit 2k on my second attempt on an18x24" target. The 6.5 PRC is no joke. And I used 147 gr ELDM Hornady factory ammo to do all of this. My gun loves the ELDX Hunter in 143 grain and really loves the 147 ELDM. They are exceptional.

Two, you might want to check with opticsplanet.com for the 147 ELDM projectiles. I grabbed three boxes from them a couple of weeks ago. Now that I have a bunch of spent brass from the factory ammo I'm going to build some for next summer. Anyway, opticsplanet gets some in once in a while and they go pretty quick. You'll have to be persistent to catch them in stock, but they might be a good place to check routinely.

Good luck finding the primers. Can't offer any help there.

Enjoy the rifle. You'll get the ammo together soon enough. Peace!

Keep watching Choice Ammunitions website. You can give them a call and ask them about it too.

I have 500 143 ELDX same lot I would be interested In selling

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.