building a 375 cheytac

jasonshortjeeper

Hey i am going to build a 375 cheytac in a couple of months. I have chose to have lawton build the action, barrel and muzzle break. I am going to use a Manners tactical stock, Kepplinger set trigger and Nightforce 5.5x-22x scope. I have read up on the Serria matchking 350 grn bullet and the guys at Lawton told me that Racky Mountain bullet company was building a 350 grn or bigger polly tiped bullet. I am not getting an oversized barrel so i can't shoot solids so i will use the serria and rocky mountain bullet. I had some questions about the Barns 300 grn tripple shock. I use them in my 375 h&h mag and they seem to work good. Max range i have shot is 200 yards though. Has anyone used the barns bullet for long range hunting? Does it hold up to ranges out to 1500+ or is not designed well enough for that?

Thanks for the help. Jason.

Jason, I have a rifle such as you describe from Lawton finished and ready to ship. I should have it next week. It is a 7.75 twist to shoot the long solids and maybe the HATS. It makes no sense to me to build a big boomer then use bullets that do not optimize its capability. A 300 gr. 375 is a bit short and the BC is going to suffer. It would be fine for short to mid range; however, I cant imagine why anyone would need this cartridge for those distances unless you were going after elephants or rhinos.

not going after rinos or elaphents at least not rite now. Things could happen. I will use it for elk, deer, bear and antilope at a grand plus. I have allways liked bigger bullets with alot of knock down power. I don't want to waste my time and money loading a round that won't perform. I have a couple of friends that have 50 bmg and it will be nice to have a rig that will smoke there asses. Thanks for your imput.

No problem, this round is still being tweaked and there are getting to be more and more bullets available. Anyone can adjust for drop but beating the wind is the problem. The guys with the fifties will probably be shooting the Amaxs with a BC around 1.0, if you want to hang with them you are going to need bullets with similar BCs. Talk with Bobby, my rifle should answer a lot of questions about twist rates and BCs of some of the banded solids. Also I think there will be some of the HATS in the 385 gr range soon. Tight twists and long projos are going to be the fuel that fires this cartridge.

They boath shoot ball ammo that comes rite off the belt that they get from one of our local gun shops. I thought about solids but i don't know what they will do to the animal when i hit them. Have you shot an animal with one? if so what did it do?

If your buddies are shooting military ammo I think they should not be shooting at game animals at 1K. I have chronographed military ball from several countries and all that I checked was very inconsistant. The velocity spreads ran around 150 fps. Just this factor alone will cause around 1 Mil of verticle stringing at 1000 yds. Now factor in the 2-3 Moa accuracy potential of this ammo and the system will have trouble keeping eveything in a 40 in. circle. This is assuming it is a windless day. I have not even fired the 375 yet let alone tested it on animals. I will be doing that shortly as my daughter and son-in-law have a feral hog problem. The projectile is 7 cal. long and therefore has a very long thin nose that MAY flatten and expand. There are plans to make a hunting bullet from oxygen free copper that is softer than the ones I have now. I am told that Mr. Henson has dies one the way to make the HATS in 375 that should have a respectable BC. There are SMKs available but from what I can find out the BC on these are on par with the 338 SMK. Anyway I consider the 375 Cheytac a work in progress.

They don't use them for hunting just for play. So if i got an oversized barrel for soilid will it still shoor jacketed bullets as well?

I really dont know what you mean when you refer to an " oversize barrel " most on the 375 barrels have been 11.5 twist and will stabilize the SMK 350 gr " jacketed " bullet. This configuration has been used with the Lost River and Hooker solids. The bullet that I have are longer than either of these and the general consensus is that it will take an 8 or tighter twist to stabilize them. Likewise if a HAT bullet is made it should probably be in the 385 gr range and this would make the bullet on the long side requiring a similar twist. I doubt if an 11.5 would stabilize it. Anyway as I said before if one is going to build a 375 Cheytac, considering the cost of componants, it makes no sense to do this unless its capability is maximized ie long bullets and tight twist. Thats my two cents and you can take that and a dollar and buy a cup of coffe in most places that I frequent, the exception being Starbucks. This round is taking its first baby steps and there will be many debates and knock down dragouts about bullets, twists, powders, actions, primers and a host of other subjects. Heck, there are still heated debates concerning the 308 Win. so pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

Jason, I have shot some of the 30 cal banded solids out of a stock 300 Rem Ultramag. The demensions seemed to be compatible. There were no detectable blowby and the bands held up well; however the twist rate wasnt fast enough to stabilize. When every thing is worked out one will be able to shoot banded solids or jacketed bullets out of the same barrel providing both are compatible with the twist in that particular barrel.

I was told that to shoot the solid bullet that you had to use a barel with a bore that was slightly larger than .375. i could have heard wrong though. I shoot a 300 rum as well. It is my main hunting rifle at the moment. I shoot 200 grn nosler ballistic tips.

Lawton has built most of the barrels used to shoot the Lost River and Hooker solids, it is my understanding these same barrels are OK for the SMKs. The banded solid bullets made by Noel Carlson will work in barrels of standard demensions providing the twist is compatible. I will have a little firsthand experience in a few days and I will share what I learn.

that will be great. I am waiteing on my tax return. When i get it i will order my action, barell and brake from lawton. Hopefully in a few weeks i should have my return. I will be looking forward to hear what you have to say about your new rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.