Building a 338 lapua

Hello I have owned lots of different 338 lapua from the savage 111 lr,savage 110ba,Remington 700 and more! None of them have offered what I was looking for which is a lighter rifle yet extremely accurate used for hunting and shooting 1200+ yards! I am dead set on the caliber so please don't try talking me out of it! My question is what is my best setup to build a custom rifle with the lowest cost possible! I already have the optics(vortex 6x24-50) I was looking into a light hunting style atom like the McMillan a5, I have no experience with building a rifle so this will be interesting! Thanks for the help and any knowledge is appreciated!

Do a search on the .338 here and read up on all the posts about it . There's tons of info here . I bought the savage .338 then bought a Krieger barrel and added it to the rifle and it just shoots....I went with the heavy contour for accuracy.

Here is mine not the cheapest option, but if your looking lite and accurate this will get it done and Snowy Mountain Rilfes really knows how to build them. I run a 4-16 hs -xlr ffp vortex on it to save weight. I wouldn't want it any lighter.

This 338 Lapua Rifle tips the scales at 9.5 LBS. We used a Proof research Carbon Wrapped barrel, SMR single shot action, SMR SS 20 MOA Rail, Mcmillian M40-A stock, SMR Muzzle Break. Cerakoted OD Green Barreled action to match the stock.

Attachments

• DSC_0559_1024x1024.jpg
    DSC_0559_1024x1024.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 233
Here is my 338 Lapua McMillan Extreme Outer Limits Long Range Hunter. Pricey but the best and most accurate gune I have ever owned.

Attachments

• 338 Lapua Mag Nightforse scope.jpg
    338 Lapua Mag Nightforse scope.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 2013 Antelope 338 Lapua.jpg
    2013 Antelope 338 Lapua.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 338 EOL LRH.jpg
    338 EOL LRH.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 206
Here is mine not the cheapest option, but if your looking lite and accurate this will get it done and Snowy Mountain Rilfes really knows how to build them. I run a 4-16 hs -xlr ffp vortex on it to save weight. I wouldn't want it any lighter.

This 338 Lapua Rifle tips the scales at 9.5 LBS. We used a Proof research Carbon Wrapped barrel, SMR single shot action, SMR SS 20 MOA Rail, Mcmillian M40-A stock, SMR Muzzle Break. Cerakoted OD Green Barreled action to match the stock.

Exactly what I'm looking for I love it! Do the barrels usually come threaded for the muzzle brake already and does does it require a gunsmith to screw the barrel and light it up with the action?

Exactly what I'm looking for I love it! Do the barrels usually come threaded for the muzzle brake already and does does it require a gunsmith to screw the barrel and light it up with the action?

The rifle pictured is a custom build done by Snowy MTN Rifles of Missoula, MT
They supply the break and index it properly during the build process.

Shooting a 338 with out a break is a painful proposition!

If your in need of more info please feel free contact me I will help you best I can.

heres my 338 Norma, Defiance, ABS,Lonewolf 8 3/4 dressed.

Attachments

• WP 800 goat.jpg
    WP 800 goat.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 158
My 338LM is on the bottom it is built on a stiller tac 338 kreig barrel #8mtu 26 1/4 inch and a mac m40 stock weighs about 19lbs and shoots hole for hole at 100yds farthest shot is sub moa at 1600yds planning on shooting out to at least 2000yds with it.

Attachments

• 20131005_170012.jpg
    20131005_170012.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.