Building a .284 - Ackley or Sherman?

Since the 280ai is the closest to it's Sherman counterpart here is what would sway me one way or another. If money and time isn't an issue then go Sherman. You might as well get the max horsepower that you can. If money and time is a consideration then go 280ai and not give up that much horsepower.

Also you mentioned lightweight and a 3 or 3b Bartlein definitely isn't lightweight. You could do a 2B or like mentioned a Proof research and shave off a decent amount of weight compared to the 3/3B.

Also you mentioned lightweight and a 3 or 3b Bartlein definitely isn't lightweight. You could do a 2B or like mentioned a Proof research and shave off a decent amount of weight compared to the 3/3B.
Good points- even with the fluting on the 3 or 3B, my weight would still be more than I'd prefer. Also, I found a good deal on a Proof this evening that is not much more than the cost of having a 3 or 3B fluted the way I would want, so I bought the Proof. I updated my original post accordingly- one more variable solved!

If you ever plan to travel out of country to hunt, plan on having brass headstamped that match the barrel markings. .280AI fits that bill. If not, the Sherman get you more horsepower, close to a 7RM, maybe even surpassing it is some cases.

I built my .280AI to be my lightest mountain rifle, but still plenty capable of longer shots. I could have shaved a bit more off by changing scope and mounting solution, but all my rifles wear a 20MOA Picatinny rail for ease of swapping scope between rides should the need arise.

I would look at a Lone Peak TI, either the Fuzion TI or Razor TI. This will save you 6-8oz over a steel action.

Mine is built as follows:
Built by Axiswork in Tempe, AZ
R700LA BDL
Fluted bolt
Carbon fiber tac knob
Alloy bolt shroud
TI firing pin and Wolfe Blitzschnell spring
26" Proof Research Sendero Light 1:9"
Hawkins 3 port brake contoured to blend w. Barrel
Manners EH1 bedded
Shilen match trigger @ 1.5#
Rem factory alloy bottom metal
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins alloy 30mm medium high rings
March F 3-24×52 illuminated FML-1
Flatline ops level
Tac Ops cheek pad
Total weight all in is 8lbs 13oz

With going to a TI action, you will lose 6-8oz right off the bat
Use Talley lightweight rings instead of Pic rail and rings, lose another 3-4oz
Get a scope lighter than 24.4oz, and you lose that much more.
Lose 2" of barrel length, and another 4-6oz or so come off.
Lose the brake, 3 more oz. But gain recoil.

Makes a sub-8lb rifle very doable.

I push a 175 Berger Elite @ 2975fps. Plenty to take elk out past 800 with proper shot placement. And the rifle has proven to be plenty accurate enough to do so. 2.9" 3 shot group @ 921 yards.

Last edited:
270ss
21" #3 Brux 8.5 twist fluted/nitrided
Manners EH4/midnight camo
Calvin Elite trigger
Talley aluminum 2 piece mts
Swaro 4x12
7 lbs. Even minus sling
IMG_20181201_221845481.jpg
IMG_20181201_221907500.jpg
IMG_20181201_221636204.jpg

Ok back to the thread!

Last edited:
I went with a 22" barrel. My goal was not to get as much as possible out of this rifle but to build a light weight 700y big game rifle. I went with the 8" twist sendero light at 22" plus a small PK brake. The 8" twist will allow me to run up to our 177g Hammer Hunter, but my intent is to run the 143's at about 3150fps. If you go with the Sherman at 24" I would expect to see the 143's running pretty close to 3300fps.

All parts are in and getting put together as we speak and I still go back and forth on the chambering. Other part of my decision is we already have the dies and own the reamer. Rich did offer me to use his reamer which just made it harder to decide.

Did you order your proof straight from them? And what does it weigh... Just what I wanted but my smith couldn't get one or just wanted to stay with steel. I have a #4 fluted Lilja and it shoots great. Hunted this season with it and it is a little more nose heavy than I would have liked. Not terrible just not perfect lol. I have one more action to screw something to. I guess this is like houses, have to do a few until you get it little red riding hood right...

Did you order your proof straight from them? And what does it weigh... Just what I wanted but my smith couldn't get one or just wanted to stay with steel. I have a #4 fluted Lilja and it shoots great. Hunted this season with it and it is a little more nose heavy than I would have liked. Not terrible just not perfect lol. I have one more action to screw something to. I guess this is like houses, have to do a few until you get it little red riding hood right...
Picked up my barrel at a SOWW event, so it came straight from Proof. It is easier and quicker to find the barrel you want from a retailer. If you can't find what you want then go straight to Proof. Proof is located here in the same area as we are and often we get a barrel quicker out of FL than we can 10miles down the rd.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.