Build your own scope

Yes, it was on sale. The time looked right given Nightforce has announced a price increase for 2017. It would only make sense that it would be a good possibility that March could increase prices as well.
I buy a NF or other high end glass around August every year and run it till March or so. For FREE usually. By the time I sell they have spiked again and I can get close or sometimes MORE than I paid. Only thing I have ever bought that does that, cars certainly don't.

3.5-20x either a 44 or 50mm. 30mm. Side focus. Very good glass with a solid box for eye relief much like the vx-6. Capped turrets. Capped turrets. TMOA retical (non illuminated). Low profile windage, with fairly low elevation turret, custom dial with MOA etched as well. Durable, yet light, (25oz.). Tracking like a NF and have good "click feel" with the same zero stop a NF. Absolute fog and scratch resistant lenses. Thread in dust caps. All for $1500 of less. I would own a few! Capped turrets. Did I say that.

Just placed an order for the March 2.5x25x52. It's about as close to the perfect scope for my needs as I can find. Greatest appeal is the weight, size, reticule design, 2nd FP, in a no frills, simple package.
Ill be curious as to how pick focus is on 20-25.Its touchy on mine and find I dont use the upper end much,which is kind of a waist.

Ill be curious as to how pick focus is on 20-25.Its touchy on mine and find I dont use the upper end much,which is kind of a waist.

I did take delivery of the March 2.5x25x52. Yes, the parallax/focus knob is a fast ratio design and it is sensitive in the 20-25x range. Given March chose to calibrate the MP3 reticle on this scope(which is a 2nd focal plane) at 20x, it seems that March intended it's typical high power setting to be 20x. Using a 25x max power, I'd guess that March intended to position the scope against the ATAC-R's top end power. I'd agree that 20-25x is probably unnecessary Having said that I could see where it would generally feel more sensitive when compared to the Nightforce scopes which, to me, have too long of a ratio that can be vague. While probably a matter of personal preference and familiarity, I very much prefer a fast ratio design which for me are much faster to use in the field. This has been one of the attractive features that I really like about my Huskemaw scopes which also have a fast ratio design..
Overall, I am very pleased with this scope! While I haven't yet had a chance to put through all the paces in a long range hunting situations, it sure looks as close to the perfect scope as I think I could get. The optical quality is as good, perhaps better then my ATAC-R. It's a no frills scope with a size and weight that is excellent for a carry LR rifle. I really like the non-obtrusive turrets, zero stop design, and the nicely weighted MP3 reticle,. The fit, finish, and workmanship is what exactly what one would expect from a high end scope.

Yes Im in agreement on all your points.Wish price point was more competitive.Im shooting the F1 and like the reticle and 10 m per rev.

Take a look at the TRACT lines of riflescopes. Excellent quality for the price because you can only buy direct form the company, cutting out middlemen profits. The company is owned by two Americans with many years in the optics business. All their optics are made in Japan. Yes, it's a new company - and one that deserves your attention.

SWFA also has the same marketing setup and I like their scopes. VERY good glass.
I run a 3 - 15 x 42 SWFA on my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator.

Eric B.

Take a look at the TRACT lines of riflescopes. Excellent quality for the price because you can only buy direct form the company, cutting out middlemen profits. The company is owned by two Americans with many years in the optics business. All their optics are made in Japan. Yes, it's a new company - and one that deserves your attention.

Eric B.

Ya, 1/4 moa thick reticles, low available moa, one rev past zero stop and windage counting in one direction, I wouldn't mount that on my 12 year old daughter's gun.

I'm still waiting for Vortex to build a 4-20x44 Razor HD LH. Anything under 20oz and it would be amazing. I'd still buy it at 22 oz, especially if they made a FFP version with one of their XLR or EBR reticles.

Either that or Leupold comes out with a VX-6 3-18x44 in FFP without the weight jumping up too much. They are SO close with the VX-3i LRP scopes coming out soon. I just don't want a 6.5 power low-end for a hunting scope.

I've been swinging between a 3-18 vx6 with a TMOA reticle and the 3-15 Razor HD LH for months now. I've had them both in my cart at different times. I just keep telling myself to be patient. Lots happening in the optics world at the moment.

Of course if I could afford it I'd buy the March 3-24x42 FFP. Especially with the new FML-T1 reticle it checks all the boxes for a cross-over scope that can ring steel past 1200 yards and also hunt. I wish it weren't but the price is an issue though...

I'm still waiting for Vortex to build a 4-20x44 Razor HD LH. Anything under 20oz and it would be amazing. I'd still buy it at 22 oz, especially if they made a FFP version with one of their XLR or EBR reticles.

Either that or Leupold comes out with a VX-6 3-18x44 in FFP without the weight jumping up too much. They are SO close with the VX-3i LRP scopes coming out soon. I just don't want a 6.5 power low-end for a hunting scope.

I've been swinging between a 3-18 vx6 with a TMOA reticle and the 3-15 Razor HD LH for months now. I've had them both in my cart at different times. I just keep telling myself to be patient. Lots happening in the optics world at the moment.

Of course if I could afford it I'd buy the March 3-24x42 FFP. Especially with the new FML-T1 reticle it checks all the boxes for a cross-over scope that can ring steel past 1200 yards and also hunt. I wish it weren't but the price is an issue though...

I really like my LH Razor, if they made it in 4-20 with a zero stop and an exposed elevation turret...perfect.
Actually, if they just added and exposed zero stop turret to the 3-15 I would be happy.

I did take delivery of the March 2.5x25x52. Yes, the parallax/focus knob is a fast ratio design and it is sensitive in the 20-25x range. Given March chose to calibrate the MP3 reticle on this scope(which is a 2nd focal plane) at 20x, it seems that March intended it's typical high power setting to be 20x. Using a 25x max power, I'd guess that March intended to position the scope against the ATAC-R's top end power. I'd agree that 20-25x is probably unnecessary Having said that I could see where it would generally feel more sensitive when compared to the Nightforce scopes which, to me, have too long of a ratio that can be vague. While probably a matter of personal preference and familiarity, I very much prefer a fast ratio design which for me are much faster to use in the field. This has been one of the attractive features that I really like about my Huskemaw scopes which also have a fast ratio design..
Overall, I am very pleased with this scope! While I haven't yet had a chance to put through all the paces in a long range hunting situations, it sure looks as close to the perfect scope as I think I could get. The optical quality is as good, perhaps better then my ATAC-R. It's a no frills scope with a size and weight that is excellent for a carry LR rifle. I really like the non-obtrusive turrets, zero stop design, and the nicely weighted MP3 reticle,. The fit, finish, and workmanship is what exactly what one would expect from a high end scope.

Just wanted to give an update on the March 5x25x52 I purchased a while back. While ai think the true test will be to put it through a full season of hunting, I did make what I thought was a very meaningful observation about this scope. Much more so then low light conditions, the most frequent problem I encounter is the "wash out" of the image due to glare when shooting into a low sun. I have had to either wait or pass on good animals when they were in this position. A few evenings ago I happened to have a low sun out my workshop door that simulated a typical worst case scenario. I picked a deer sized grey rock at 300 yards in a partially treed area. I attempted to acquire the rock with each of my LRH rifles, a 5x25x56 ATACR(300 WM), Huskemaw 5x20x50(6.5x284), 5.5x22x50 G7 NXS(6.5x284), and my new March 5x25x52(6.5x284). All were set at 20X. AI wasn't expecting much from any of the scopes considering the strong glare, made even worse with the snow but was surprised to see that the March was the only scope to give me a very clear shot on the rock with only a slight yellow tint. The two NR scopes and the Huskemaw gave no picture at all.....total yellow orange haze. Just to make sure that I was getting a reliable comparison, I repeated the process two more times and got the same results. March claims to have the best glass on the market. Maybe it's true!

Greyfox, Thank you for your evaluation & updates on the March scope
I purchased that same model & was impressed with it also.
Mine is off at my smith for a current build. Anxious to get some
Time behind it as well. Your info is encouraging.
Thank you,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts