Build vs buy

Really just depends what you want. If someone is producing a factory gun that meets your needs then go for it. With a custom build you get exactly what you want but sourcing parts and depending on the gunsmiths backlog you may be waiting a while. I have quite a few factory and custom rifles, bought or built them all for different reasons and I'm happy with all of them.

I just completed my first build. For about $3000 Aussie so around $2000 US

I paid $950 for a Tikka on clearance
$990 for a carbon fibre stock Bolly, made by Precision Defence Industries. Australian made.p
$900 for an IBI Carbon Fibre. barrel

And I have to pay the gunsmith when I collect in a few days, he will be fair . He fitted and chambered the barrel to .280ai.

Uhh, 150 Norma .280ai cases and some Redding dies cost nearly $500, I can't count projectiles but I grabbed a heap of those in 7mm as I run a 7mm-08 too.

So I built a lightweight rifle for about $3000. Alternatives like a Christensen arms Ridgeline would be $4500.
A Proof research barrel would be near on $1500
A McMilan stock could be $1500
A Custom action would start at $1500
That easily takes me over 5k k in Australia.

Building on a Remington or a Tikka. Can be viable pending what you want. I'm settled on That in my price point. I can test the IBI barrel, the Bolly Stock my gunsmith and my skills.

I also bought a Sterk ultralight Bolt shroud $130, I will swap an MTN tactical ultralight bolt handle from another tikka. MTN a NewZealand brand . This is 3D printed from Titanium.

I could be into nearly $4000 when I finish but that's cheaper than any off the shelf custom I've found. It's maybe my one and only build. Sourcing the parts certainly helped getting a quick turn around from the gunsmith and I know him so that helped.

I just completed my first build. For about $3000 Aussie so around $2000 US

I paid $950 for a Tikka on clearance
$990 for a carbon fibre stock Bolly, made by Precision Defence Industries. Australian made.p
$900 for an IBI Carbon Fibre. barrel

And I have to pay the gunsmith when I collect in a few days, he will be fair . He fitted and chambered the barrel to .280ai.

Uhh, 150 Norma .280ai cases and some Redding dies cost nearly $500, I can't count projectiles but I grabbed a heap of those in 7mm as I run a 7mm-08 too.

So I built a lightweight rifle for about $3000. Alternatives like a Christensen arms Ridgeline would be $4500.
A Proof research barrel would be near on $1500
A McMilan stock could be $1500
A Custom action would start at $1500
That easily takes me over 5k k in Australia.

Building on a Remington or a Tikka. Can be viable pending what you want. I'm settled on That in my price point. I can test the IBI barrel, the Bolly Stock my gunsmith and my skills.

I also bought a Sterk ultralight Bolt shroud $130, I will swap an MTN tactical ultralight bolt handle from another tikka. MTN a NewZealand brand . This is 3D printed from Titanium.

I could be into nearly $4000 when I finish but that's cheaper than any off the shelf custom I've found. It's maybe my one and only build. Sourcing the parts certainly helped getting a quick turn around from the gunsmith and I know him so that helped.
Sounds like one heck of a neat build, since this is the AR-15 forum I assume the OP was thinking more along those lines

if it's your only one, I'd at least buy the upper complete.

This going to be your only AR? Price range you're looking to spend?
How handy are you?

*a complete upper from a reputable AR company, like BCM, geissele, solgw, DD, etc, WOA,CLE)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've built all of mine. I've also torn apart many, many customer rifles, purchased and then modified to end up being what they wanted in the first place.
Figure out all the parts that you want and buy them. Then build exactly what you want from the start. It's cheaper. And you will learn everything you need to know about running the platform.

Building is a lot of fun and addicting, but also very time consuming and expensive. Factory makes some decent options but probably settling in many areas. Check the classified here as there are always beautiful rifles that actually hammer for less then the cost of building

My approach was I bought stripped lower, lower kit, complete upper from then put it all together.
I liked doing that so I knew I had everything I possibly need to be able to sit down and put it all together.
Now with the experience of having done it once I feel like I can actually make a somewhat informed decision when it comes to picking which parts to buy for my next builds. I have 3 lowers sitting in the gun closet. I have a list of components I plan to buy and try on the first one, then adjust based off that experience for the 2nd one, and again on the third... maybe by that one I'll have a rifle that's worth a crap Haha

I agree with birdiem. AR builds are loaded with options, accessories and upgrades. I've built my hunting BA and also an AR. I am probably overly cautious, and it will take a little while (like some "honey do's), but I am looking forward to my next build = a 6.5 PRC. Having an experienced friend and mentor is a big plus.
Building your own gun is a GREAT learning experience :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.