Build up...Savage, Remington or custom action..

Dust270WSM

I am going to do a build up on a rifle. It will be in 7mmSTW. Have a Vortex Viper PST 6X 24X 50 that's going on it and I reload. So....question I have is which one would ya'll choose??? I have had Savages and love how amazing they shoot and also love the Accu-trigger. But wanna build the best shooting rifle I can for the money I have. This will be mostly a deer rifle that I can shoot extreme ranges with but also a rifle where I can punch steel out past 1000 yards.

I am working on a budget which is between $1500 and $2000.

So should I go custom and spend $2000 plus...

Go with a Savage Target action or regular action...

Or Remington 700 trued up and built off of...

Your budget must be spread across components + smith work. So you can build a Savage yourself and put all the money into parts, or you can skimp on parts to allocate money for smith work.

I don't see how you could have a custom rifle built in that price range on a custom action, and a trued Remington approaches that.

Unless you're shooting competition, frankly I have to wonder whether you really get a lot of value beyond a Savage action properly bedded into a good stock with a high quality barrel (which can be done within your price range). No reason you can't have a half MOA gun that way, which is plenty good for most hunting needs.

I've gone every route you've mentioned, the trued Remmy, a semi custom Savage, a Savage PTA build, and a full custom. All of them are more than accurate enough for long range hunting...I think, just got the custom.

If I had to do things over again I would not do a trued Remmy. Nice actions and plenty of aftermarket parts but for a few hundred more you can go full custom.

My Savage PTA build is scary accurate, but I can't say for sure that is due to the action. It has a shorter thicker barrel than my other Savage builds on regular factory actions. I think that shorter stouter barrel is a plus in the accuracy department and may give this rifle an edge.

The jury is still out on the full custom, just started the barrel break in process. I will say it sure looks sweet and is exactly what I wanted it's just to early to tell if the extra cash investment will show up in the accuracy of the firearm.

With all that said, I doubt you can get into a custom for $1500 - $2000. The parts cost alone for my custom was just under $2100, that was just a basic ADL type build, no bottom metal, no detachable mag, no Jewel trigger. However, I had nearly a year wait for it to be completed so you have time to put together a little more cash.

If your heart is set on a custom then by all means save a few more dollars and go that route and don't let "need" factor into the decision. If you're just looking for an accurate serviceable hunting rifle do what ATH said go the Savage route.

Chris

Unless you're shooting competition, frankly I have to wonder whether you really get a lot of value beyond a Savage action properly bedded into a good stock with a high quality barrel (which can be done within your price range). No reason you can't have a half MOA gun that way, which is plenty good for most hunting needs.

+1 plain common sense there gun)

I'm on board with the Savage build. I have built a couple. Get yourself a long action Savage so that you can mag feed for hunting. Look at CDI, Stockade, or Pacific Tool & Die bottom metal. Barrel of your choice. Benchmark or Douglas are good low dollar barrels, but good quality accuracy. B&C Stock, should fit the bill. Rifle Basix trigger. Your ready to start loading the freezer at any distance. gun)gun)

Tank

I've gone every route you've mentioned, the trued Remmy, a semi custom Savage, a Savage PTA build, and a full custom. All of them are more than accurate enough for long range hunting...I think, just got the custom.

If I had to do things over again I would not do a trued Remmy. Nice actions and plenty of aftermarket parts but for a few hundred more you can go full custom.

My Savage PTA build is scary accurate, but I can't say for sure that is due to the action. It has a shorter thicker barrel than my other Savage builds on regular factory actions. I think that shorter stouter barrel is a plus in the accuracy department and may give this rifle an edge.

The jury is still out on the full custom, just started the barrel break in process. I will say it sure looks sweet and is exactly what I wanted it's just to early to tell if the extra cash investment will show up in the accuracy of the firearm.

With all that said, I doubt you can get into a custom for $1500 - $2000. The parts cost alone for my custom was just under $2100, that was just a basic ADL type build, no bottom metal, no detachable mag, no Jewel trigger. However, I had nearly a year wait for it to be completed so you have time to put together a little more cash.

If your heart is set on a custom then by all means save a few more dollars and go that route and don't let "need" factor into the decision. If you're just looking for an accurate serviceable hunting rifle do what ATH said go the Savage route.

Chris

Then you overpaid for your 700 build's parts and smith labor if it was over $2,100 not including optics, with an ADL style magazine. Since an ADL from Dicks or Academy or Walmart is $379-399...

With the savage will there be an issue w/ OAL and mag feed? I don't know the dimensions of the stw, but I know I cannot get close to the lands in my savages (300wm & 280) and still mag feed. But I have managed to find loads that work w/ my mag limitations.

Given that you are willing to go over 2k I would go w/ a stiller action and while you're waiting on a barrel shop around for stock and other parts.

With the savage will there be an issue w/ OAL and mag feed? I don't know the dimensions of the stw, but I know I cannot get close to the lands in my savages (300wm & 280) and still mag feed. But I have managed to find loads that work w/ my mag limitations.

Given that you are willing to go over 2k I would go w/ a stiller action and while you're waiting on a barrel shop around for stock and other parts.

It was very easy to get to the lands on my savage 7mm rem mag with criterion barrel. This is an internal magazine though...which let's be honest...works just fine. If you need more than 4 shots...you probably need to either practice more or reduce your range.

It was very easy to get to the lands on my savage 7mm rem mag with criterion barrel. This is an internal magazine though...which let's be honest...works just fine. If you need more than 4 shots...you probably need to either practice more or reduce your range.

Shooting berger 180gr hybrids?... I don't recall saying I needed more than 4 shots.

All of your options are good with a price difference between them.

My opinion would be for overall performance and price the 700 rem action.

A trued/blueprinted 700 rem can be had for $500.00 to $600.00 dollars including the blueprinting.

As far as custom actions most are clones of the 700 rem action and after buying floor metal, magazine & parts and a trigger, you will have more than $1,000.00 invested.

As said there are more aftermarket parts available for the 700 action than any other action, holding the price down with a little shopping is easy.

Keep in mind also that no matter what kind of custom rifle one builds, he will never get full value for it if he tries to sell it. (people willing to spend that much money would rather just build there own.

I can find no advantages between your choices in accuracy if done buy a master Gunsmith with premium barrels, components and workmanship. I do however not recommend a do it your self project using pre-threaded and chambered barrel and setting the rifle up your self. Some have been successful but many aren't .

This is just My opinion based on the number of rifles I have repaired and built.

J E CUSTOM

I have built 6 savages and am working on 3 more plus a Rem/age. The rem/age is a 700 action LA with rifle basix trigger and criterion barrel. The stock is B&C with DBM. I will this rifle done in the next week or two.

All of the rifles with load work up have shot under .5. I have shilen, criterion, Schneider, McGowen, ER Shaw, and stock savage barrels. The schneider barrel in 6.5-284 has shot bugholes when I do my job.

My point in responding is that if you are willing to invest the time and do it yourself you can do pretty well on limited budget. My most expensive rifle build was a 6.5SAUM Savage. $1200 I attached the picture of it.

Attachments

• SAUM 1.jpg
    SAUM 1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 305
Shooting berger 180gr hybrids?... I don't recall saying I needed more than 4 shots.

No I have not tested with 180 Bergers but I have with the 168 and there was still quite a bit of room left so I suspect the 180 would be fine as well.

It may not be the cheapest but here is what I'd do.....Buy a SPS 700 Long range and sell the barrel. The rest of the gun you'd have about 600 in. LRI has a group buy on Snipers Hide and you can get action truing, a barrel installed, and the muzzle threaded for 400.00 plus the cost of the barrel. I'm sure they'd time a brake for you relatively cheap as well. So you'd have 350 for a barrel, 400 to LRI, and 600 in the SPS action with bottom metal and B&C M40 stock or 1350 plus a brake and timing if you want one. Add a Jewell trigger and you'd have a nice rifle for a few hundred over a Sendero or 5R. You can always run the price up with add on's like cerakote, bolt fluting, recoil lug, nicer stock, etc. but you get the jist of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.