Build up or Factory rifle???

Dust270WSM

I am wanting to get ya'lls opinion on what I should do.

What I am wanting is a hard hitting flat shooting rifle that I can use at long ranges for hunting and steel shooting. That also can buck this Oklahoma wind. And not competition steel just going out by myself or with friends and be able to ring a steel target at 1000 plus. But its main purpose will be for deer and elk hunting.

And I don't make a bunch of money so I have to work on a budget. So I figured I could spend approx. $1000 to $2000 and get what I am looking for.

Trying to get the best bang for my buck....

I do reload so it will be hand loaded for.

1st Option: A factory rifle like a Remington Sendero or a Savage. Something along them kinda lines. Where they both have good triggers or can be adjusted to be good ones along with decent stocks that I can bed or get an aftermarket one that is really good. Caliber wise I figured around a 7mmMag, STW or 300 in either long or short?? But can use your opinions on caliber to!!!

OR

2nd Option: To do a build up. I have an old Remington action in 30-06 that was my wifes grandpas and its got a few rust issues that will have to be taken out and cera-koted but will be ok. And not sure what calibers would be able to be done in this action or recommended by ya'll?

OR

3rd Option: Buy a cheap Remington from Academy or online and build up off of it in a Magnum caliber?

Option #4. Buy a used custom with a low round count and known accuracy from a reputable seller.

Build off the Remington Pac Nor Barrel $550 with brake fluted contoured can save a bit if not braked or fluted, McMillan stock $400 to $600 depending. You already have a decent trigger and can have the action accurized and chambered to your specs and bedded/ free floated by a quality smith for $900 to $1200Yor pretty close to your budget. I don't see optics in the budget though so that has to be considered however you go unless you already have that then your there. You could co a little overboard and add a set of Near bases and alpha mount for another $500 Good luck and be prepared to wait which ever way you go.

It is not in your wanted calibers. But if you reload and have that 30-06 action I would build a 6.5 SHERMAN. Shoot either the 150 or 160 MATRIX and you will be impressed.

I am in a similar position with a tight budget and 'wants' that exceed the budget. What I decided to do was buy a Rem700 ADL varmint and spend the bulk of my budget $$$ on a good scope, rings, mount. My thoughts are I can shoot this for a while, learn on it and then re-barrel to a more desirable LR caliber (I bought a 308). I am constantly watching for a good used stock in the classifieds for my next upgrade to it.
good luck!
z

I am wanting to get ya'lls opinion on what I should do.

What I am wanting is a hard hitting flat shooting rifle that I can use at long ranges for hunting and steel shooting. That also can buck this Oklahoma wind. And not competition steel just going out by myself or with friends and be able to ring a steel target at 1000 plus. But its main purpose will be for deer and elk hunting.

And I don't make a bunch of money so I have to work on a budget. So I figured I could spend approx. $1000 to $2000 and get what I am looking for.

Trying to get the best bang for my buck....

I do reload so it will be hand loaded for.

1st Option: A factory rifle like a Remington Sendero or a Savage. Something along them kinda lines. Where they both have good triggers or can be adjusted to be good ones along with decent stocks that I can bed or get an aftermarket one that is really good. Caliber wise I figured around a 7mmMag, STW or 300 in either long or short?? But can use your opinions on caliber to!!!

OR

2nd Option: To do a build up. I have an old Remington action in 30-06 that was my wifes grandpas and its got a few rust issues that will have to be taken out and cera-koted but will be ok. And not sure what calibers would be able to be done in this action or recommended by ya'll?

OR

3rd Option: Buy a cheap Remington from Academy or online and build up off of it in a Magnum caliber?

I am in a similar position with a tight budget and 'wants' that exceed the budget. What I decided to do was buy a Rem700 ADL varmint and spend the bulk of my budget $$$ on a good scope, rings, mount. My thoughts are I can shoot this for a while, learn on it and then re-barrel to a more desirable LR caliber (I bought a 308). I am constantly watching for a good used stock in the classifieds for my next upgrade to it.
good luck!
z

Good idea, but you've limited yourself by purchasing a short action. But I also believe no safe is complete w/out a 308, as long as that gun shoots well it will probably last dang near forever.

6.5 Sherman with either the 150 or 160 Matrix will get you under 20 moa at 1000 yards and will kill everything that you want to hunt. Also, it will do it without the need of a brake and will not be painful to shoot. Wind bucking ability is as good as it gets. No mods needed on your bolt or magazine, just a good 8 twist barrel...........Rich

Dust270WSM,

I assume you already have a 270 WSM? If so, why not build a custom in 270 WSM? You probably already have brass and dies for it and it'll do everything you want.

Or get a used custom. I'm currently selling a 7mm RUM and 338 Edge that are both in your budget, less optics of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.