Build or buy new rifle?

You could possible get a Remington 5R or Sendero and have a smith true and glass bed it, or bed it yourself then get an aftermarket trigger Both are great rifles. The Savage LRH has a "heavy sporter" contour which sounds like your speed. (Mine in 7mm is absolutely amazing). Customs are great but there are some factories which are great shooters as well!!

Good luck !!

Well with all of the positive feedback and recommendations I went ahead and bit the bullet.

I ordered a Lilja #5 contour fluted barrel, McMillan stock, Timney Calvin elite trigger, Talley rings and bases.

I found a gunsmith a couple hours away that was highly recommended so he will true the action, blueprint it, install a precision recoil lug, cut and chamber the barrel, install a muzzle break, bed the stock, install a m16 style extractor, hand lap the rings, cerakote the barrel and action. Once he is done he guarantees 1/2 moa.

I was able to keep this at my budget of $2500 since I already had the action and scope. I should have it in 8-10 weeks.

Thanks again for all of the help you guys gave me.

Well with all of the positive feedback and recommendations I went ahead and bit the bullet.

I ordered a Lilja #5 contour fluted barrel, McMillan stock, Timney Calvin elite trigger, Talley rings and bases.

I found a gunsmith a couple hours away that was highly recommended so he will true the action, blueprint it, install a precision recoil lug, cut and chamber the barrel, install a muzzle break, bed the stock, install a m16 style extractor, hand lap the rings, cerakote the barrel and action. Once he is done he guarantees 1/2 moa.

I was able to keep this at my budget of $2500 since I already had the action and scope. I should have it in 8-10 weeks.

Awesome. I'm waiting for my first custom build from the smith as we speak. 338 Lapua, McMillan A3-5 adjustable, 28" Bartlein 5R, Stiller action, APA brake, nightforce on top..... Counting the minutes till I get the call that it's ready. Been saving for two years to scratch enough loot together to finally get a custom!!!

Enjoy!!

Good deal! Keep us updated once you get it back and start your load development. What caliber and cartridge are you going with?

I am going with 300 win mag, not sure yet on the load probably something in the 175-190 grain range maybe a berger vld.

I recommend the 1:10" twist, and the 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid. They really shine in the bigger .30's.

I also shoot them in my .300 Ackley, which is a .300 Wby on steroids. Basically a .300 Wby with less wall taper and a 40* squared shoulder instead of the round Wby shoulder. I use new Nosler .300 Wby brass to form cases for it.

.300 Wby (left), .300 Ackley (right)

30037D78-D8E2-4753-9F3C-703922DEAB47_zpsitzgz199.jpg

I recommend the 1:10" twist, and the 210 VLD or 215 Hybrid. They really shine in the bigger .30's.

I also shoot them in my .300 Ackley, which is a .300 Wby on steroids. Basically a .300 Wby with less wall taper and a 40* squared shoulder instead of the round Wby shoulder. I use new Nosler .300 Wby brass to form cases for it.

.300 Wby (left), .300 Ackley (right)

30037D78-D8E2-4753-9F3C-703922DEAB47_zpsitzgz199.jpg

That's awesome!! What kind of stats are you getting from it!!??

That's awesome!! What kind of stats are you getting from it!!??
It's definitely a monster of a cartridge. It has also won ALOT of 1K bench rest comps. So it's very well renowned for its inherent accuracy.

I have not finished load development, and I'm a bit OCD, so I wait to chrono till after I get my loads completely perfected and finalized, so I do not have any conclusive velocities yet. With formed brass, you start with .300 Wby load data and work up to pressure from there. It is supposed to outrun the .300 Wby, so it should push the 210's and 215's without really breaking a sweat.

Currently I'm at 74gr of 7828 SSC with a 210 and have not found any pressure signs. The load shoots great, and should be between 3,000-3,100 if I had to take a guess, because it's case capacity is very similar to the 7mm STW, and my STW uses 72gr of 7828 SSC to push a 180 Hybrid at 3K with no pressure signs.

I just ordered a Lilja 27" SS 1:9" 3-groove Sendero Contour .308 blank (no fluting) last week for an upcoming project and I was given a delivery date of 12-14 weeks.

Thanks for the info, I will order some 210 and 215 and try them out once I get my rifle. I will post pics and how it shoots. Now the waiting game.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.