Build my new rifle....

Since you mentioned,.. "Walk in",.. Hunting,..
We Hunt, small Finger Canyons and Timber country, Walking ( Hunting ) several Miles, a Day ( usually 3-4 Day Pack in, Bivy Hunts a couple of miles IN from, the Truck ) we use, LIGHT weight, 7.5 lb. Tikka's, in the Calibers, I previously mentioned ( post #9 ) and NO Brakes or, Bi - Pods, as we shoot off, "Sticks" sitting and Packs, Prone. So, I'd try to, Duplicate,.. a Tikka !
The 10-12 Pounders stay on, the Target and Varmint Huntin',.. Bench.

Last edited:
Well, when I have hunted deer/antelope, it is normally a walk in/out....maybe 2-3 mi hikes at most...2-3 per day. I'll carry a tripod for front rest....backpack for rear.

Well, when I have hunted deer/antelope, it is normally a walk in/out....maybe 2-3 mi hikes at most...2-3 per day. I'll carry a tripod for front rest....backpack for rear.
Read, the first couple of, sentences of, the OP's Post, to understand, the type of Rifle desired, and it's USE, as Hunting Elk,.. is on, the Menu.

If I were to build something right now I think I'd go 6.5-280ai. This just looks like an efficient round.

Read, the first couple of, sentences of, the OP's Post, to understand, the type of Rifle desired, and it's USE, as Hunting Elk,.. is on, the Menu.
I was the OP. I was trying to say that the 300 Sherman is the Elk Rifle and likely the walking rifle as it is a 24" #3 barrel.

i was trying to say this can be a couple pounds heavier and a smaller caliber as it is really a long range antelope & deer rifle.

As far as barrel profile, I just picked up a bartlein #4 carbon barrel. For the weight I'd say it's a pretty good profile for a hunting rifle. I wouldn't go above a #4 in an all steel barrel, personally.

I'm basicaly good with that, except it is just too close to the 300 Sherman....and I'm lookin for longer range.

but if your not wanting to use your 300 Sherman for mule deer cause it's your "elk cartridge" then what's wrong with a .277 caliber and it's definitely a good choice for long range. The 270 wsm with the 170's at 3000fps is still holding 1100 fps at 1000 yards and I'm sure you can get more then 3000 out of it. Don't see what's wrong with that