Build Me My Rifle #1

What muzzle brake?

• Slabbed 5 Port Magnum "Muscle" Brake by PR

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wapitiaddict

I'm putting together a semi-custom rifle built on a Tikka action, chambered in Sherman Wildcats 25SST. There are a few aspects that I can't decide on, so I figured I would put those to a vote by LRH members. Whatever option receives the most votes, that's what I will go with. Hopefully fellow members will find it kind of fun to be a part of my rifle build.

First, quick info on the build: The rifle will sport a 26" barrel, chambered in 25SST that will be used to shoot everything from PRS/long range steel to hunting coyotes, wolves, pronghorn, sheep and deer. The bullets of choice will primarily be 131gr BlackJacks, and also maybe some 121 or 128gr Hammers and 120gr Partitions.

The first poll is, what muzzle brake should I go with? Select your answer in the poll. I've narrowed it down to these options. Yes, I know there are lots of other great brakes out there. These ones seem to come up often and are in my budget. And I've already exhausted lots of time looking at other brakes in the universe.

I voted for the lil beast but really, it depends a lot on your muzzle diameter. I've got the 3 port titanium beast on mine but it really doesn't need it. Only reason I braked my 25sst was to make it as pleasant as possible for my wife and her sister to shoot it. Also picked up a salmon river solutions brake for my 300 rum the other day and am really liking it so far. I think the slabbed 5 port you've got in the poll is way overkill for this chambering personally.

I voted for the lil beast but really, it depends a lot on your muzzle diameter. I've got the 3 port titanium beast on mine but it really doesn't need it. Only reason I braked my 25sst was to make it as pleasant as possible for my wife and her sister to shoot it. Also picked up a salmon river solutions brake for my 300 rum the other day and am really liking it so far. I think the slabbed 5 port you've got in the poll is way overkill for this chambering personally.
Yeah, my 10 year old son will be shooting this rifle too, so I just want to make sure recoil is as tame as possible. He's pretty small for his age and doesn't have much meat to him. I just don't want him developing a flinch.

Has your kids shot smaller rifles yet like a 223, 243? Start them small work them up I'm sure you already know this. If it hurts or he gets scoped he might be scared.

3 port will be plenty for a 25SST. I put a 4 port Lil' Beast on one of my 6.5SSs, and could tell no difference between it and a 3 port APA Micro Bastard on another 6.5SS.

I would vote MBM depending on your barrel taper.

I had a 3 port Piercision put on my 257 weatherby when it was built and it doesn't kick much at all. A 4 or 5 port is unnecessary IMO on a 25SST.

Has your kids shot smaller rifles yet like a 223, 243? Start them small work them up I'm sure you already know this. If it hurts or he gets scoped he might be scared.
Yep, I've had him out shooting the 223. And then he was just out shooting the 6.5 CM with a suppressor on it. I may run the suppressor on this gun as well, but I want a brake too in case I go that route for PRS, and if my son needs a little less recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.