Build advice for a modern safari rifle

Nitroexpress

I am planning on building a modern & hopefully universal safari rifle, mainly for medium / large plains game & occasional heavy game.

Can anyone share some knowledge regarding the .375 RUM and if it will fit my bill? I've hunted SA with 6.5x55, .300wm & .416rm / Moz with my 470NE but I want a one calibre / chambered rifle to do the lot from this build.

My intentions are to build off a McMillan stock / action (as they are available to me). What barrel length / contour would be recommended to get the use of this ultra mag without making the rifle too long for effective field hunting situations?!

Nitro...

I would call wayne at american hunting rifles. I have a 375 RUM he built and it is awesome. I have taken it to Africa 3 times and it does the trick. AHR builds great safari rifles and for the money the best I have seen

I think gerryb has a good idea. AHR puts out a great product. . Which ever way you go, I would spend the time and $$ to fit the rifle to you. I don't think a 26" barrel is to unweildy. Kind of standard on the RUMs in a big game configured rifle. A brake will help keep it from kicking the snot out of you. A KickEez magnum pad helps a lot too. I've never had a 375 RUM yet. I like the 416 Rem.more and the 375 Ruger if I want a general purpose big game rifle.

Some countries have a .40 cal minimum on dangerous game. I have 3 of the new Model 70 Safari's. This model has controlled feed, basically an updated pre-64 (which I have 2 of) the new Safari model 70 is a much nicer rifle than the pre-64's. Brand new they are less than 1500.00 and can be found used for less. I paid less than a grand for my 458 Win (that is now a .458 Lott)

I am planning on building a modern & hopefully universal safari rifle, mainly for medium / large plains game & occasional heavy game.

Can anyone share some knowledge regarding the .375 RUM and if it will fit my bill? I've hunted SA with 6.5x55, .300wm & .416rm / Moz with my 470NE but I want a one calibre / chambered rifle to do the lot from this build.

My intentions are to build off a McMillan stock / action (as they are available to me). What barrel length / contour would be recommended to get the use of this ultra mag without making the rifle too long for effective field hunting situations?!

Nitro...

An all round dangerous/big game rifle is a tall order and I for one think the 416s fit the bill.

With 300 grain bullets they are as flat shooting as a 270 win. With the 400 grain they are
power houses and can handel any large animal.

I to liked the 375 RUM and used the 375 rum case to base a 416 on.

The wildcat is called a 416 Buff and there is several post on it if you do a search.

I have a 416 rem and it has problems with the pressures in hot weather so the Rum case allows
for more slow burning powder that is not effected by the temperature as bad.

The buff adds 200 to 250 ft/sec to the 416 Rem with no pressure problems.and with the new
case design it will fit a standard magnum bolt face.

The 416 Buff is amazingly accurate and delivers energy within the top 10 factory loadings.

And as stated there are country,s that require 40 cal or larger.

When/if you do a search go to page 4 And 5 there are lots of post on the 416 Buff that will give
you an idea of why I chose this route to go .

J E CUSTOM

1. There is no African country that currently permits hunting that requires .40 caliber for dangerous game. A .375 caliber rifle with the power of the 375 H&H Magnum is legal everywhere in Africa that hunting is legal.

2. If your ammo doesn't arrive with your gun in Africa; admittedly an unlikely but possible scenario, it's doubtful you'll get 375 RUM or 375 Ruger ammo there but 375 H&H Magnum ammo is available everywhere in the more commonly hunted countries.

3. If you're going to spend the bucks to get a custom safari rifle, maybe you don't care about extra baggage fees. It's doubtful you'll get a fixed barrel rifle, scope, etc. into a gun case that will meet the dimensions for standard baggage. That means any airline can and probably will ding you for oversized baggage. If you change airlines in route, that airline will probably ding you as well and on you're way home, you'll get charged again. The extra charges can easily add up to several hundred dollars.

For me, the Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H Magnum is the perfect safari rifle if I'm going to limit myself to just one cartridge. I don't need a gunsmith to make the trigger better since it's already perfect. I can fit it into standard sized baggage with room to spare. Feeding of ammo is slick. If I don't want to be limited to a certain cartridge, I can easily take an extra barrel, magazine and bolt for a quick change. With the Blaser QD scope mount, I can take a scope off and reattach it with no loss of zero.

I wouldn't buy an R 93 right now as Blaser is phasing them out but the newer rifle, the R 8 has the same characteristics with some alleged improvements.

I may be lucky but I have been to Africa 32 times and my ammo has always come with me. I pack 2 or sometimes 3 rifles in a tuffpak and never paid extra. It is a sporting bag and I have never had a problem. I know that some do. I also like the 416 of any kind, rigby,Remington or ruger. Wayne at AHR will take the time with you to make sure the gun is just what you want. I find the RUM really good for everything, on my last hunt I shot 3 buffalo and 2 were DRT and one ran 20 yards . I used 300 grain north forks and was more than happy.

1. There is no African country that currently permits hunting that requires .40 caliber for dangerous game. A .375 caliber rifle with the power of the 375 H&H Magnum is legal everywhere in Africa that hunting is legal.

2. If your ammo doesn't arrive with your gun in Africa; admittedly an unlikely but possible scenario, it's doubtful you'll get 375 RUM or 375 Ruger ammo there but 375 H&H Magnum ammo is available everywhere in the more commonly hunted countries.

3. If you're going to spend the bucks to get a custom safari rifle, maybe you don't care about extra baggage fees. It's doubtful you'll get a fixed barrel rifle, scope, etc. into a gun case that will meet the dimensions for standard baggage. That means any airline can and probably will ding you for oversized baggage. If you change airlines in route, that airline will probably ding you as well and on you're way home, you'll get charged again. The extra charges can easily add up to several hundred dollars.

For me, the Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H Magnum is the perfect safari rifle if I'm going to limit myself to just one cartridge. I don't need a gunsmith to make the trigger better since it's already perfect. I can fit it into standard sized baggage with room to spare. Feeding of ammo is slick. If I don't want to be limited to a certain cartridge, I can easily take an extra barrel, magazine and bolt for a quick change. With the Blaser QD scope mount, I can take a scope off and reattach it with no loss of zero.

I wouldn't buy an R 93 right now as Blaser is phasing them out but the newer rifle, the R 8 has the same characteristics with some alleged improvements.

The blazer is a nice package and the 375 H&H Is tried and true for all game except the most dangerous game,then it is lacking in knock down power also the cost of the blazer
($8,000 to $10,000) rules a lot of people out when added to the price of the trip and fees for
the PH.

For $3,000 or less dollars you can build a Remington or Winchester in a larger more powerful
cartrige and spend the difference on the safari.

Most of the guys that I deal with get a shot gun case (Take down) and seperate the barrel from
the stock and ship it, they also carry the scope (If they use one) in there carry on for safety
and when they arrive, they assemble and check the zero.

This saves the size and extra cost of shipping. also most ship there ammo to the outfitter
well in advance of the trip to make sure that it is there before they arrive.

Also some of them get a brake installed with a barrel nut in case the PH does not allow a brake.

I would carry the largest caliber possible but the ''All Around" rifle the Poster was asking about
needs to be able to dispatch anything with speed but stills needs to reasonably flat shooting
and Something in 40+ cal is my recommendation.

The 416s average 2,000 to 3,000 ft/lbs more energy that the 375 H&H And that can make a
huge difference when things don,t go as well as they should.

This is just my opinion and is not intended to start an argument.

J E CUSTOM

Be very careful taking scope as carry on. I have seen airlines claim they are gun parts and not allow it on. Check first.

Just for a slight point of clarity the standard 375 H+H has 4,200 ftlbmzeng. The 416 s start at 4,600 ftlbmzeng and go up to 6,000 or more. I really like the 300 gr TSX in the 416 .. I really like the 350 also. The 400 gr. Not as much. But for a solid the 400 is good.

But again he was asking about the 375 RUM.
I think that it like the 375 Whby. Are pretty just right. For the 375 if someone wants all they can get out of a 375 . I know my favorite load for the H+H is the Federal High Energy 300 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. That load consistantly chronographed 2700 f.p.s.

I am thankful everyday for the safaris I have had. Getting older now but planning mat least once a year until I am dead or to crippled to go. I think my favorite 2 gun battery is 500 and 375 RUM and id I take a third either light caliber say 7x57 or long range either 300 weatherby, RUM or 7 STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.