Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. That 6.5 will tank Annie grizzly bear out to 500 yards easy. IF and guarantee it
So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?
That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. For one thing if you shoot a grizzly when you're hunting Sheep he is going to be close. That 6.5 PRC will put a Bears dick in the dirt at 500 easy.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. That 6.5 will tank Annie grizzly bear out to 500 yards easy. IF and guarantee it

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. For one thing if you shoot a grizzly when you're hunting Sheep he is going to be close. That 6.5 PRC will put a Bears dick in the dirt at 500 easy.
Might want to change your tactics with how you address people. We treat people with more respect than that on this forum.

My guess you haven't been around to many Griz, Guides don't carry 6.5's for bears for a reason.

Who names grizzlies Annie, assigns them male parts, and calls out others.

bigngreen is one of the most knowledgable, experienced rifleman to use this forum. Personally miss him not being around much these days.

Who names grizzlies Annie, assigns them male parts, and calls out others.

bigngreen is one of the most knowledgable, experienced rifleman to use this forum. Personally miss him not being around much these days.
I proofread it. And it was correct I hit send and it changed it.

My guess you haven't been around to many Griz, Guides don't carry 6.5's for bears for a reason.
I'm going to assume you're backpacking. How many guns do you want to carry. I have hunted in bear country. And nothing beats a shotgun with slugs followed up with 00 buck. You have to run some drills on how you would deal with a bear. You need to be mentally prepared for an attack. Practice close range shooting over the top of the scope. Know your impact offhand. They are always on my mind, it is difficult to deal with a predator that is not afraid of you. By the way I don't use guides.

I'm going to assume you're backpacking. How many guns do you want to carry. I have hunted in bear country. And nothing beats a shotgun with slugs followed up with 00 buck. You have to run some drills on how you would deal with a bear. You need to be mentally prepared for an attack. Practice close range shooting over the top of the scope. Know your impact offhand. They are always on my mind, it is difficult to deal with a predator that is not afraid of you. By the way I don't use guides.
I live and hunt in Griz country, never said you used guides all I said is guides dont carry 6.5 or recommend them to there bear hunters for a reason.
You dont have to carry multiple guns to go hunting just the one that will do a better job just in case.

Last edited:
I live and hunt in Griz country, never said you used guides all I said is guides dont carry 6.5 or recommend them to there bear hunters for a reason.
You dont have to carry multiple guns to go hunting just the one that will do a better job just in case.
Have you ever had to kill a grizzly that came at you while you were hunting another species.