Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

Thanks bigngreen for your reply. You have way more elk kills than I do, so I maybe should take your advice and not shoot an elk with an accubond. I've heard bad things about the accubond long range but not the regular one, so I appreciate your knowledge.
And yes would agree that they say they made a good quartering away shot at the elk but who knows? Back to your original post about what caliber, don't think I would carry anything smaller than a 30 cal magnum something. Has been a great topic. Thanks for all the input and good luck with your choice.
I would encourage you to shoot an elk with an accubond, you may find it is your cup of tea and works just right for you, they are not my favorite as you can see in this thread we all get different mileage out of different bullets, but always be ready to stick another bullet in an elk, even after a lot of elk if one take a hit and I don't like what I see me or a buddy will have a second round in the air post haste, no need them getting farther down hill :)

I do pack a glock 10mm in a cross draw holster during archery season because the black bears are so thick here. Can't hear them coming unless they growl at you. Called in a 6ft 4in black bear with a cow call and shot him with my bow. was ready to draw my pistol if he charged, was exciting as ever!
I'm going to try calling this year during bear season, I've never tried it but it sounds absolutely intense!!

I was cow calling to a small rag horn elk just to mess with him and next thing I knew he turned and ran, confused I took a step forward and could see that bear coming straight toward me. Coming to kill an elk. And it was about the most exciting thing I've done bowhunting. I will tell you watch your back, they are quiet, not good eyesight but a really good nose.Talked to an ex game warden out of Lewistown Mt. he told me enough scary bear stories to be really aware of your surroundings. Watch for fresh scat and logs that are tore up

Good thread and not gone to pieces yet good job. Like I have said in earlier post the handgun on your person is worth far more when things get close and personal with Mr. Grizzly. A rifle is worthless in a close encounter. You can get the handgun into play even after a bear has knocked you down and you can shoot under your arm or over your shoulder if necessary. Put the barrel up against hair and pull the trigger. The big revolvers are better in this case because if the big Auto is knocked out of battery it will not fire. The revolver will fire in that case the only thing that will stop a big revolver is if the cylinder can't turn or the hammer is blocked.

bigngreen, My first experience with the Barnes, was with the original X, 270 grain, around '92 or '93. Made a "Texas Heartshot" (I know....blasphemy) on a small bull elk. The bullet entered just left of the "target dot", shattered the pelvis, continued forward through the processing plant, through the diaphragm, left lung, exited in the left leg pit (for lack of better term), re-entered the upper leg (large heavy muscle) and stopped beneath the hide on outside of leg! That gives us 3 hide penetrations (really slows a bullet), shattered pelvis (relatively heavy bone), a couple of feet of dense wet grass, and then continued on as described for two more hide penetrations. It lost one petal, weighed 257 grains, and tracked straight....I was sold! I'm not sure what else I could ask of a bullet. From coyotes, deer/antelope, elk, and moose.....they've always performed for me! Maybe one day, they'll disappoint....but not yet! memtb

I was cow calling to a small rag horn elk just to mess with him and next thing I knew he turned and ran, confused I took a step forward and could see that bear coming straight toward me. Coming to kill an elk. And it was about the most exciting thing I've done bowhunting. I will tell you watch your back, they are quiet, not good eyesight but a really good nose.Talked to an ex game warden out of Lewistown Mt. he told me enough scary bear stories to be really aware of your surroundings. Watch for fresh scat and logs that are tore up

If I were bow hunting in griz country, I would be carrying....unconcealed! ;) But, if I'm backpacking, the handgun is still in the pack, the rifle is in hand...I stubborn that way! memtb

Ive been bluff charged a few times and always had my sites on bear,put lead right between their feet.With my rifle,know people how have been charged by bear and cat and killed them,one shooting from hip.My personal hunting buddy shot a cat cow called in with long bow at 8 yrds,we turned it in,just sank down and lowered it ears back when yelling at it.In the case of bear I sent lead at ,as I related story to a person I new from F&G,found out a grizzly had been recently let loose there that had been rubber bullet hazed.The bear I stopped that day ran out to 100 yrds then came back prancing and popping his teeth,there where at least 4 bears I could hear from all the puffing going on and at one point a grizz fight broke out.Ibacked out obout 100 yrds and then yes I trotted out about 2 miles before dark.I hunt high for muley so I have hundreds of climbs in the dark,multiple times big grizz in fresh snow have smelt me,obvious by tracks and stepped off horse trail and let me pass.There are many videos out of guides etc shooting charging bears or other dangerous game.Ive been on multiple arrow and rifle shot bear recoveries and had only bow due to getting threw canada a pain with firearm,not a very fun deal,looking for a big bear in a rain forest that way.

You certainly have more Bear experience than most any, possibly all of us combined. If we ever have a situation such as those you've discribed, may cost me my hunting partner. Hell.....I might take up "Golf"! I hope that I didn't offend anyone with the use of that "4 letter word"! :) memtb

Ive been hiking in those mountains since a kid,nobody said anything back then.Grizzly was hunted they usually ran away,not as many seen.I hunted all same country with bow only.Then after many times seeing the huge trackes that surrround your own print.I thought I need a handgun,so being a teenager I got a 22 ruger heh,heh. Now I felt safe.My kid went in few springs ago and round corner in trail and large grizz sleeping,bout 40 yrds away.They get to looking and a elk leg sticking out from under him,they look down and blood at there feet and going to creek.Bear wakes up and not real happy.He has it on some old phone somewhere.

My pick would be a Hammer bulet
In a 7mm or bigger pill.
No side arm. Enjoy your sheep hunt!!!
I had a long talk with a guy who guides in the area I'm going into and he has ran into bears frequently and just luck of the draw not gotten rolled yet but others in the same area got hit. His advice was just to pack a large revolver and not worry about a gun, he said he's never ran into a bear there and gotten his rifle up in time to do any good if a charge would have been real which was something I never thought of, the situation is most likely shooting a bear after getting rolled, really were will be going in one trails that are fairly dense and during hunting season that's where hunters are pulling game in and out of too. The few mock charges I've seen have been open enough I had no issue pulling a rifle up but he is convinced in this terrain and those bears you won't get a round of till after a bear hits ya. He had some interesting takes and advice to think about. He used to carry a Glock 10 mm, now carries a wheel gun, I tend to agree with that as what I've seen your not going to have time for a mag dump which is what most guys with semi's rely on but I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting more than a round or two of so better to hit them with something big.

I was convinced to just roll a rifle till I talked with this guy, I can totally see where a rifle would be best in some situation, I can also see if you get rolled a rifle will be useless and a pistol on your chest is the only way out. I do hate sleeping in small tents in mummy bags in grizz country, I feel like a bear burrito:eek:

bigngreen, just curious if your guide is going to be hunting right alongside of you. If this is going to be the case, does he carry a rifle and if so can he carry something that would take the wind out of a grizzly if an encounter were to occur? Personally if I wanted something that was long range and something that is capable of dispatching a critter that has long claws, sharp teeth with a bad disposition that was looking at me for a large portion of protein (for me maybe two large portions:rolleyes:), I'd seriously be looking at something in the .338 Winchester category. Although I carry a Glock20 10mm (220gr Buffalo Bore) for black bear hunting (you are correct about the magazine dump) I would be carrying something bigger in a wheel-gun if in grizzly country. I have a friend who was mauled in Alaska a few years back, from 50-60 yards the grizzly charged (after it had been wounded) from the alders, he managed to get one round off before his rifle jammed, the bear essentially ate the end of his barrel and ripped it from his hands before it attacked him. My friend nearly died, bad weather prevented him from an air-lift, it took three days to get him out due to heavy overcast conditions and the planes couldn't fly. Personally for me .338 Winchester (ought to get you long range) and a large wheel gun; I'd rather have it and not not need it, than need it and not have it! The friends rifle jammed when he pulled the bolt back so hard that the extractor pulled through the base of the case leaving an empty case in the chamber and the next round jammed in the magazine well. My friend went from a Browning push-feed in 300WinMag to a controlled feed, Montana .338WinMag., as did all of the men in his hunting party. Something to consider when building your rifle is controlled feed for dependability. One can be carrying all the horsepower in the world, if you cannot get that horsepower from the magazine to the chamber what good is it? This is MHO.

@Alibiiv No guide, just a couple of us suffering from sheep fever. We hunted a hunt in SW MT a few years ago that was over the counter and we just couldn't close the deal on a big ram though we found a couple decent rams that would have been worth it. Now we have to try to scratch the itch, I'll save the guide for the Stone or Dall if I live that long!! I've been surprised just how under your skin sheep hunting gets, it's kinda stupid when you think about it, your not hunting for meat really just the challenge and maybe a set of horns but I got completely hooked on it!!

@Alibiiv No guide, just a couple of us suffering from sheep fever. We hunted a hunt in SW MT a few years ago that was over the counter and we just couldn't close the deal on a big ram though we found a couple decent rams that would have been worth it. Now we have to try to scratch the itch, I'll save the guide for the Stone or Dall if I live that long!! I've been surprised just how under your skin sheep hunting gets, it's kinda stupid when you think about it, your not hunting for meat really just the challenge and maybe a set of horns but I got completely hooked on it!!

You are especially "driven"....if your wife has a much nicer sheep than you do! Wanting to get a "re-do"! :D memtb