Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

I am pretty sure I am pushing a handgun over a rifle in that quote...I have been consistent with that stance this entire thread. I think it is the way to go for bear defense...not bear hunting, but bear defense. Shoot whatever cartridge you want on a sheep hunt, if it is a 6.5 then bring a 6.5. Just pack a large caliber handgun for bear defense - its my opinion that handguns are better than a bolt action rifle in that regard.
I NEVER GO ANYWHERE without my S&W 457 .45 in my waistline, and a 2 shot .38 Special Derringer in my Left front pocket. If I were hunting ANYTHING in GRIZZLY COUNTRY, I'd **** SURE be packing a handgun with MORE than enough Horsepower to take care of Mr. GRIZZLY!
ENUFF SAID! Theosmithjr

Last edited:
Never had any experience with the area or big bears but much with shooting rifles. Don't rely on a rifle you can't shoot accurately--consistently. Big bores pack a wallop on both ends and developing a flinch during practice could be devastating at the moment of truth.Your brain catalogs that wallop and strange gyrations can occur.

BE72635F-CC84-4F6E-A0F6-4EA24ABD5D25.jpeg
I purchased this painting in St Petersburg, Russia. It hangs over my reloading bench, and is for just this debate - whenever I will be hunting rabbits in bear country, and debate about which rifle to take, I glance up, then reach for the big stuff.

I have no experience with this..but my own personal fears...and from the "man" teddy roosevelt... .carry a big stick!,.. if and when I ever get to sheep hunt I would want no less than a 300 personally...the idea of running into a big bear scares me

I posted this over on the Long Range Shooting section thread - (Recoil - What Recoil). While the thread, obviously was about recoil, I thought that it may be somewhat relevant here. My rifle, 9 pounds 1 oz., fully loaded and slung, it still within a reasonable hunting weight. A 250 grain TTSX @ 3130 fps mv, will make a pretty decent long range capable cartridge....while giving pretty good performance "up close and personal" ranges. My wife's rifle, sub 9 pound, while not showing great accuracy....which could be improved upon with some modifications, would also "fill the bill"! A 225 grain TTSX @ 2950 fps mv, will also "gitt'r done" both up close and at distance.

As a factory cartridge, in a relatively decent weight hunting rifle....the .338 WM, is hard to beat. For both a longer range sheep cartridge, and as a pretty decent "stopping" rifle! JMO. I think that either would meet DXHI's criteria as a "Big Stick"!

Quote from Recoil - What Recoil is below!

I see that some seem to think that bigger caliber, harder kicking rifles come with a sacrifice of accuracy. While I'm sure that there are much more accurate rifles than ours and much better riflemen than me, for sub 9 pound "sporter weight" rifles ( my wife's is box stock) I think they do pretty well. Mine is generally 2" or a little under @ 300, her's is generally around 2 1/2" @ 300....both with 3 shot groups.

Prior to past hunting season, I verified the 300 yard zeros on both rifles, only firing two rounds.mine was a bit off, so I made a small adjustment. My wife's was close, so I just dropped it 2 clicks. The photo, is of my 2nd two shots after adjustment, and shows the wife's 1st 2 shots. Her 2 shots are about 1 7/8" Center to Center, mine about 1/2" Center to Center. My first 2 shots (prior to adjustment) was just over an inch. I don't generally take a photo of our targets....but I was kinda proud of those two shots! memtb

mU6iZZ6l.jpg

Last edited:
So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?

This is easy; bring enough gun for whatever you might encounter. Going for a light weight rife then packing a 4+ lb. side arm makes no sense.
As the saying goes, "don't bring a knife to a gunfight"!

While it may appear that I am against a handgun while rifle hunting...That's not entirely correct. I'm against it on a backpack hunt, while packing. If one is using horses, by all means, have one for use while sleeping. My thoughts were based solely on a backpack hunt. Would I like to have one while backpacking.....emphatically yes! But, not worn while backpacking. If you can handle the additional weight, throw one in the pack....and enjoy your sleeping partner. I know I would! ;) memtb

Not sure if someone suggested this, long thread, but I'd say look at a 375 ruger maybe? With the 250gr GMX its super flat, great in short barrels, and good for anything. Its no true big bore, but it will be well beyond any .300 in stopping power, and you're not looking for ultra long range laser anyways. Actually the 250gr IS a laser for this size of bore... You can always go with the ruger alaskan off the shelf, know a guy with one that shoots super well. I have a custom on a long action Sako and its amazing accurate and not bad to handle at all. Just spend some time with it. A lot easier than carrying 2 rifles. On the Sako you can even fit 4+1. Thats a lot of rounds for their size!

I have another thought, have you seen the Claw Hammer bullets. How comfortable would you be with a 6.5 SAUM and a 150 gr non expanding bullet in a face off with ole Griz?

As an aside WDM (Karamojo) Bell killed quite a few critters that are known to blend hunters into the grasslands with a couple of seemingly weak cartridges by modern standards. He favored the .318 and 7mm for much of his elephant and buffalo hunting and insisted that gun handling skills were far more important that bullet weight
Now a bear will eat you for certain but after a cape buffalo or bull elephant have had there way with you the outcome is quite the same.
He is credited with over 1000 elephants mostly old bulls shot for ivory and he shot buffalo without much regard.

Credit: Karamojo Bell- Wanderings of an Elephant hunter.
I have another thought, have you seen the Claw Hammer bullets. How comfortable would you be with a 6.5 SAUM and a 150 gr non expanding bullet in a face off with ole Griz?

300SS load a 181 hammer for treking and whatever floats your boat for your sheep. You don't need a long barrel for most sheep shots so you can get by with a #2 and 9/16 28 for a side discharge brake. I use electronic muffs hunting and love them. I track in the snow mostly. The muffs let me hear the dear get up out of sight when before the muffs I would bump that buck out making for a much longer tracking job.
If you like the 338 better I'd look at a lighter hammer up front either the 213 hunter or 225 sledge hammer. followed by the 250 berger for sheep.
I would also look at the V tac sling for front carry. Have 2 and they make for fast handling from carry to on target.
I'd lastly practice this drill. Blindfold yourself have a partner confirm your clear and hand you the rifle with the safety on or off for dry fire. Have him yell go fire or whatever to start the clock. Learn to be able to get your safety off even under duress. I use to practice this for sporting clays because I lost a regional shoot due to a safety being on and I tried to bend that trigger before I figured it out dropping both targets. Lost by 1 bird.
Alot less important then when a ****ed off bear wants to tear you butt up because he can.

Last edited:
Not sure if someone suggested this, long thread, but I'd say look at a 375 ruger maybe? With the 250gr GMX its super flat, great in short barrels, and good for anything. Its no true big bore, but it will be well beyond any .300 in stopping power, and you're not looking for ultra long range laser anyways. Actually the 250gr IS a laser for this size of bore... You can always go with the ruger alaskan off the shelf, know a guy with one that shoots super well. I have a custom on a long action Sako and its amazing accurate and not bad to handle at all. Just spend some time with it. A lot easier than carrying 2 rifles. On the Sako you can even fit 4+1. Thats a lot of rounds for their size!

Yep, just like this:

Ruger Guide Gun - .375 Ruger.JPG

Recent Posts