Buffing Coumpound in tumbling media?

41mag

Ok here's the deal. I normally just toss in a cap or two of New Finish or Flitz in the tumblers when my media gets changed out. I use the crushed walnut for the rough stuff and then the corn cob for final or the cleaner stuff. I know the SS pins are all the rage now but I bought the media in 50# sacks years ago and I have more than plenty to use up.

This past weekend we did a major garage clean out and I found an almost full tub of rubbing compound which has dried out, due to being out there who knows how long.

The first thought was toss it but then I thought about the possibility of using it in the walnut to aid in removing the really cruddy stuff.

Any thoughts on if it will mess with the cases or not? I seriously doubt that it has/had any ammonia in it, and if so it has long evaporated I would suspect.

What ya think, use it or toss it?

Give it a go. What the heck. You have plenty of media and the compound is over the hill anyway.

I doubt there would be any ill effects to the brass.

I'd count that stuff as a great find....:D

I'm sure you could test for amonia by putting some brass in the container, and see if it turns blue.
Sounds like a good find to me too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts