Buffalo?

banjo318

Hello, im gonna get straight to the point and ask it. Im looking into getting a guided hunt here in montana. Theres a hunting guide that will let us hunt buffalo. Do you guys think 7mm rem mag wil get er done? Now remember, were not talking cape buffalo that have 1 1/2 inch thick skin. :)

My dad has used his 7mm and 270 to shoot hundreds of wild buffalo! Two inches behind the ear is the magic spot! Barnes bullets is what he always used. One day I loaded one 270 win for the cows and calves and two 7mm mag rifles as fast as I could and he shot over 30 wild bison. He did this on a daily basis one year, some days more some days less. If the shots were long range he chest shot bison but only on rare or emergency situations.
I have a friend whos dad raises bison and he head shoots them with a 220 Swift. Keep in mind these are not long range shots.

My father and his two hunting buddies hunted bison in Montana a few years ago and he used his 7mag. His two buddies used their 30-06's and all three were successful. I would think it would work just fine although i have no personal experience with buffalo.

Good luck and if u go post up some big buff pics.

I killed one in 07 in Jackson hole wyo with a 7 and a 168 VLD. It didn't go 10' before piling up. Worked really well.

No right behind the shoulder. Study their anatomy as their lungs are placed a little different than an elk or deer. I shot mine at 274 yards. There is more margain for error by letting the air out of them as opposed to braining them. Keep in mind that buff are a true herd animal and the rest of the herd will gather around it when it's wounded, so you might get one shot without having to wait for another clear shot. When I shot mine I had to wait 45 min for the others to leave my buff.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.