Buffalo Taken With 500 Linebaugh

jwp475

This is a picture of a Buffalo that I took with the 500 Linebaugh,shooting 525 grain WLFN flat point hardcast bullets at 1120 fps from my revolvers 6" barrel.The shot was from about 40 t 45 yards.When the bull presented an opportunity,I placed one round through the heart.The bull staggard,stumbled and went down.The others gathered around and begin hooking as if trying to help him up.they actualy got the big bull back to his feet,but he could not remain on all fours and quickly fell again.The entrance hole from the big slug,had blood flowing from it,as well as from the exit. The bullet exited the animal and was not recovered.The wound channel and penetration of these big bore revolvers is nothing short of amazing.The penetration is often more than large rifles and the wound channel has to be seen to be believed

[image]
parker_buffalo.jpg
[/image]

jwp475
Thanks for sharing the pic
Thats a big buff!!
What was "plan B" I don't see any trees!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
CAM

Nice going, that's got to be a heck of a drag getting it out of there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats on the buff John. That is a great photo and one heck of a handcannon. When was your hunt?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 2005.................. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John,

Good goin'. That's a lot of eatin'

Good to hear the report on the cartridge and bullet performance. Makes me feel better about my decision to get a 45LC and use hard cast bullets. I haven't done it yet but will before the season. Just a carry gun and defense against things that go bump in the night or argue over a gut pile while I'm still in the vicinity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy here is an exit on the inside of the off side rib cage of a bull Elk. A 440 grain flat point Hard cast at approx. 950 FPS made this ( 300 Winn for size comparison)I have seen several Buffalo in the 1000 pound range taken very nicely with the 45 colt and flat point hard cast(325 and 335 grain).I have taken bull Carribou with the 45 colt and 310 grain Flat point hard cast and they worked very well.
HuntingPicturesfrom2006061.jpg

Congratulations on your Buff.
That exit wound is nothing short of impressive.
I killed two WT deer with my 629 44 Mag w/ 250 gr Nosler PT's. Both were heart shots and there was nothing but shreads left of either one.

One of these days I would like to play around with some hard cast bullets. They are the real deal.

JD338

That is a very large bull.

Just for comparison of bullets, I shot a very large bull with a 7mm Wby at 60 yards with Nosler 175 grain partitions and none of them exited. All were caught by the stretchy hide on the off side. Five rounds through the chest and only when the last one broke the offside leg did he fall over. All bullets were recovered and all were mushroomed perfectly down to the partition. Not a single bullet hole would come close to what your hard cast slug did.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.