buffalo shot placement

retiredcpo

I know the shot placement for big game
but where would the best placement on a buffalo
Shot will probably be fairly short under 200 yards most
likely with a 30-06 pushing a 165 gr accubond
retiredcpo

placement is the same for any other large animal.

Depending on the size of the animal that 165 gr pill may be a bit puny. No kiddin'!

On a buff I'd shy away from the usual LRH bullet high bc tendencies and go with a good ol proven Winchester silver tip with some weight and velocity to it.

Plus I'd seriously consider at least three quick shots before the critter learns what's happening.

Just my thought though. Never shot a buff but was really disappointed when I took a 270 Win w/a 130gr bullet to a 6oo lb bull moose.:rolleyes:

yea I was thinking about trying to talk him into using my 300wsm and ill be backing him up with my 7mm
all pushing the accubond bullet
retiredcpo

A local guy that raises buffalo always says to shoot them right of the point of the elbow, which in a previous link is right in the heart, I guess it will perty much TKO them.

For what it's worth, I've killed a few and seen many more shot, and I'm a firm believer in "big and slow" (45-70, w/525 postell,etc.) over "medium and fast" (.300 win. mag/.weatherby/RUM/WSM/etc.) The elbow/shoulder placement is ok, but right behind and a little below the ear is a "lights out" hit.

Last edited:
There are a couple of problems with buffalo.

First they have a really thick hide and coat. This means that you may not get much of an entrance hole and no exit hole. A double lung shot will only damage a small amount of tissue compared to what they have left to use and the small hole may clog with hair and or close so the lungs do not collapse.

Secondly, they are really large animals and have slow metabolisms. They have large amounts of blood and oxygen in the blood and do not bleed out quickly and just flop over like a little deer. A little patience may be required before they die.

A tough bullet such as an accubond or partition will provide good penetration and weight retention. Based upon my experience I would say try to hit the heart and pass through it to the far side shoulder. Once you break the shoulder then the animal is not going to run off.

I had a friend shoot one with an arrow. Complete penetration through both lungs but you could sit down and watch a game show in the time it took it to die. Charging buffalo with a bow for defense are best watched from a different location than the guy with the bow. Holly crap was that scary, it's been almost thirty years ago and I still can see the look of terror on my buddies face.
They have seriously bad attitude when prodded. Shoot them with something big and mean, I would say a 300 mag is a little light. They are huge and incredibly tough. MTBULLET is right on 45-70 or some other slow mover with a huge slug. 30-06 with a 168 is not a very good choice. It may work fine and then again .....
You don't want one walking over to see what you are up to.

thanks for all the info
really a head shot is not a option
I want to bleach the skull out and put it with the rest of my skulls
More than likely we will be taking around three two cows and one bull
retiredcpo

That's a wagon load of meat your planning on. Love buffalo very good eating, the skulls are way cool, are you getting the hides tanned?

most of it will not be for us
If it works out it will be a cow for my buddy(thats a sure thing)
a cow for another guy and 1/4 or 1/2 of the bull for me cant afford the whole bull
plus I have half a cow a deer and a bear in my freezer now and IM looking for one more deer.
I am planning having the skull done and the hide tanned
Retiredcpo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.