budget rifle build

rakatak

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. This is my first post. Anyway, I am wanting to try my hand at building a rifle. Want to build something in 260 rem. I have a 260 in a ruger m77 and really like it. Trouble is my son likes it too, so I am wanting to build one for myself. Want to use a savage action. I have read that i can the stevens 200 is made by savage and would be an economical choice or I can go with an old savage 110 action. I was told I could use a 243 or a 308 action for my build. What else do I need to do this myself. Any of your guy's expertise would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can also use a 22-250 but if you want to use the heavier bullets set out to the lands you might want a long action or build a 6.5 creedmoor.

Anyway its pretty easy start with you stevens rifle get a barrel nut wrench and remove barrel order barrel of your liking enstall barrel with headspace gage tighten nut order trigger of your liking (I like the rifle basix) and enstall then order stock of your liking and put it all to gether :) if you feel upto it you can piller and glass bed the stock to :) gun)

can i just buy the actions by themselves or will i have to find a savage 110 or stevens 200 and strip them down to get the action?

My 22-250 is on a savage 110 long action. It's how it came from the factory, long action and skinny 22" sporter barrel factory chambered in 22-250. You don't have to do it all at once either, if you get an older savage they have an adjustable trigger that you can polish (not lap), new barrel, action worked over at the same time, then down the road get the stock you want. So you don't have to go budget so much as spread the cost out over time. I would stay away from strait taper barrel profiles though, they get really heavy fast.:)

hey guys I was just wondering if you could use the action from the savage axis rifles. are these the same actions that are in the savage 110 or the stevens 200? Buds has the axis rifles for 260 to 300 bucks. Thanks.

hey guys I was just wondering if you could use the action from the savage axis rifles. are these the same actions that are in the savage 110 or the stevens 200? Buds has the axis rifles for 260 to 300 bucks. Thanks.

I would stay away from the axis action for now due to limited upgrade options/aftermarket support.

Yes on the Savage 110 or Stevens 200 and are very good DIY project build. Here's what I did on my Savage 110 action >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks, they help with felt recoil? her 7mm-08 is typical of savages having more felt recoil than it should, **** thing feels like your getting punched in the shoulder with a sharp object, tame that down and paint it pink camo and she'll be tickled with it.

can i just buy the actions by themselves or will i have to find a savage 110 or stevens 200 and strip them down to get the action?
yes you can just buy the action you can even buy there target action if you wanted.

if i were you i would go to savage shooters talk forum they have a add. for NSS they have actions for sell

well here is a link to them for yah

Savage Shooters

;-]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.