Budget rangefinder for 600 yards?

Stix

G'Day all,

As the title says i'm looking for a budget range finder that will go to 600 yards or there abouts. After spending everything i have on a decent rifle and great scope i really need a budget range finder to last a year or so.

I don't expect great clarity or low light performance, just as long as it works and gives me a reliable range out to 500-600.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I bought a Bushnell 1200 with the Cabela's name on it for $200.00. It has ranged out to 1275 and has performed for years. I have to hold it steady but it has been so good I haven't upgraded yet. I don't know what the newer ones are going for but it wouldn't be a bad option on a budget.

I like my Leupold, but I'm admitidly bias. I live in the Northwest, & most of the gear I own is made here;
Leupold optics- Oregon
Nosler bullets, & brass- Oregon
Pendleton wool- Oregon
Filson wool, & tin cloth Washington
Columbia sportswear Oregon/Washington border
Hawthorne/Whites boots Washington
Leatherman- Oregon
Gerber- Oregon
You get the idea. I like supporting quality local companies when I can so that's my reasoning for being bias.
No, I don't think a Leupy rangefinder is even remotely in the same class as a Leica or Swaro, & if I had the $$ I'd own one of them as we'll, but throw budget/quality in the mix, & I'm back to square one, supporting local companies like Leupold.

I've owned phillipeans made Burris FF-2 scopes, loved them. I've owned a few (Japanese??) Nikons, & liked them too for the $, but I can always send my Leupys in for a new reticle, or turrets or whatever, whenever I want, & their warranty is rock solid, so I don't buy foreign optics anymore unless they're high end, high quality glass.

I like my Leupold, but I'm admitidly bias. I live in the Northwest, & most of the gear I own is made here;
Leupold optics- Oregon
Nosler bullets, & brass- Oregon
Pendleton wool- Oregon
Filson wool, & tin cloth Washington
Columbia sportswear Oregon/Washington border
Hawthorne/Whites boots Washington
Leatherman- Oregon
Gerber- Oregon
You get the idea. I like supporting quality local companies when I can so that's my reasoning for being bias.
No, I don't think a Leupy rangefinder is even remotely in the same class as a Leica or Swaro, & if I had the $$ I'd own one of them as we'll, but throw budget/quality in the mix, & I'm back to square one, supporting local companies like Leupold.

I've owned phillipeans made Burris FF-2 scopes, loved them. I've owned a few (Japanese??) Nikons, & liked them too for the $, but I can always send my Leupys in for a new reticle, or turrets or whatever, whenever I want, & their warranty is rock solid, so I don't buy foreign optics anymore unless they're high end, high quality glass.
Ditto. For this application the Leupold is the go to range finder.

Either the RX IV or RX 1000 can also be bought well under 450.00 espeically if you check Ebay after the close of rifle season in the US.

I tried an Newcon once. My particular unit was junk. Fortunately the outfit I bought it from took it back.
I read somewhere that you can expect a rangefinder to give reliable readings out to about 60% of it's rated distance. I have found that to be pretty accurate. Get one rated to at least 1000 yards. And don't buy the cheapest one out there, or you'll have a *** that will only be frustrating. A better buy would be a higher grade of used one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.