Budget range finder?

BlackSS

Is there such a thing as a range finder that will be accurate out to say 800 yards for $200 - $300?
I have really just started looking at them and am not finding a whole lot of feedback.
Suggestions?

Im pretty sure the leupold 1000 goes for right around 300. It works pretty good but not as good as the leica or swaro. If you have the extra cash I would go that route. Its worth it. Iv had both. Iv also heard bushnell makes a pretty descent one but have no experience with it. Good Luck and hope this helps!

I'm by no means an expert in this area but I do have a Nikon 800 that will get upgraded asap. It readily picks up and gives good readings out to 450 yds. Occasionally, it does pretty good out to 500, sometimes 600 if the light is just right. Rarely will it pick up out to 700 or beyond. It is quiet aggravating when you want/need to range a deer or groundhog and can't get anything but "- - -".
In its defense, it will give readings if the object is big enough, say a barn or a vehiicle but who shoots at or toward those? The animals don't stand by those objects! It usually picks up evergreen trees pretty good too. Deer at 600 yards? could be hit or miss, most of the time, miss.
Save yourself some hassle and get a Swaro or Leica. More money but better electronics/glass, from what I've read/heard.
There may be others out there that I'm not aware of. JohnnyK.

I'm by no means an expert in this area but I do have a Nikon 800 that will get upgraded asap. It readily picks up and gives good readings out to 450 yds. Occasionally, it does pretty good out to 500, sometimes 600 if the light is just right. Rarely will it pick up out to 700 or beyond. It is quiet aggravating when you want/need to range a deer or groundhog and can't get anything but "- - -".
In its defense, it will give readings if the object is big enough, say a barn or a vehicle but who shoots at or toward those? The animals don't stand by those objects! It usually picks up evergreen trees pretty good too. Deer at 600 yards? could be hit or miss, most of the time, miss.
Save yourself some hassle and get a Swaro or Leica. More money but better electronics/glass, from what I've read/heard.
There may be others out there that I'm not aware of. JohnnyK.

Not sure on the price of the Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF. Some guys like it, and other not so much. It is suppose to read to 1000yrds, but need to be on a tripod to keep it steady to ready. Most people I read were ranging trees and houses.

Not sure if you want to wait but the new ones are coming out soon(Aug). You might be able to pick up a lieca 1200 used in that neighborhood. They are $600 new.

Brent

Is there such a thing as a range finder that will be accurate out to say 800 yards for $200 - $300?
I have really just started looking at them and am not finding a whole lot of feedback.
Suggestions?

400 or 500 yards maybe But not 800yards.

Most will say that they will but if you read the fine print it will say on a highly reflective
surface and as we know deer are not to reflective.

There are Lot's of range finders that will work at the normal distance 4 or 500 yrds but
for the longer ranges you need to purchase a better quality range finder to get consistant
results.

J E CUSTOM

I bought a Nikon 1200 on clearance about two years ago that ranges better than my previous Leupold, my buddy has a swaro and I usually pick up a reading faster than he does. When him and I shoot drops at the range, we take my Nikon.

Deer to 600 no problem, rocks and trees consistently first click to 900 and houses and stop signs to 1400, 2-10 clicks, with a couple 2000+yds plus in the right conditions.

It doesn't do well on coyotes in hay fields or high noon.

Bushnell makes the 1200 arc that will do 800 consistently. It retails on the net for 300 - 350. Nikon 1200 is also a good choice in the same price range

Like blipelt said look for a used Lieca 1200. Mine will range deer very well at 900 yards.

The Bushnell 1500 will do 600-800 on game and 700-1100 on terrain (trees/rocks) depending on the individual unit. My buddy got a good one, I got a bad one...

Not sure on the price of the Bushnell Elite 1500 LRF. Some guys like it, and other not so much. It is suppose to read to 1000yrds, but need to be on a tripod to keep it steady to ready. Most people I read were ranging trees and houses.

I think it has a beam about like a flash light. So big in fact, that you may not be positive as to what is being ranged.......

save some money for swaro and in the same time learn to use mildot or moa reticles for ranging.
up to 600-800yrd on deer size or moos, elk with a flat bullet you will do ok.
deer size chest - 18in
mulley deer - 22-24
elk - 32
coyote - 12
pdog - 9
you need lots of practice, and wwww.shootersready.com is the right place to start...
you will need a bkup if your batery is flat so learn to use reticle for ranging...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts