budget LR rig build complete

Thebear_78

Earlier this year I picked up a rifle/scope package that I was primarily interested in the optics. So I found myself in possession of a Remington 700 SPS varmint in 308. Already having a tube gun in 308 being built I didn't really have a need for this one. Instead of selling it I decided to make it into a decent LR rig for my dad. One of his buddies recently got into F class shooting and my dad didn't have anything capable of really LR shooting.

I wanted this to be a decent rifle but didn't really have a lot of money to invest in this build. So my goal was to keep costs down but still be accurate enough for 600+ yard paper and steel punching. The original package included the a sps rifle and a nightforce 20moa rail. I put a SWFA SS 16x42 scope that I had on hand in a set of lapped weaver rings.

I was wasn't very impressed with the stock and the factory trigger sucked so I ordered a Boyds pro-varmint stock with adjustable cheek peice and a Jard 14oz trigger. After bedding the stock and installing the trigger I was a lot happier with the setup.

It has proven very accurate, especially with the Black hills 168gr match ammo. I have been very impressed with the black hills loading and its ability to shoot in just about every rifle tried.

This is a 5 shot 100 yard group with the black hills ammo

This is a 300 yard group with same ammo

Its going to be hard to send this one out. Total cost was under $1300 dollars and it shoots like a champ.

"That's the way you do it" (Dire Straits)

That's faaantassstic! I read 1/2 MOA.

Boyds beats the unbelievers again.

I'm very impressed with the SWFA SS scope. It hangs in there with glass costing 3-4 times as much. I wouldn't go any higher than 16x42 though as it does get dark quickly in low light situations. Adjustments are accurate and repeatable, glass is clear, You won't be dissapointed.

I was really impressed with that Boyd's pro varmint stock. The ergonomics are great, fit and finish was really good, and it's nice and stiff. Clearly it shoots well. If wieght isn't a concern that pro hunter with the cheek piece is pretty tough to beat, I'd rate it above the bell & carlson stocks all the way around.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.