Budget friendly scale?

Bigeclipse

I got a gempro250 2 years ago And it seems to do ok but it drifts from time to time which makes me lose faith in it. I also have an older rcbs beam scale and while that scale is consistent it reads low. I have used scale weights to check it and it is definitely that the scale is off so now I've just been losing faith all together. I do not do long range hunting as my furthest shots are 300-400 yards and I do not do competition so I do not need a crazy expensive scale but I do like to try and load the best that I can. So all that being said what would my options be with a budget of under 200$?

I have been loading for ten years....started with a rcbs 10/10 scale that allows by hand to measure to 0.00gr..more accurate I believe than my new rcbs chargemaster lite..it weighs to 0.0gr...huge jump in powder for the difference in accuracy I believe....i know a guy that uses a hospital scale to get to nitty gritty... 0.000gr...
The only way the chargemaster lite can compare to the 10/10 is to stop at the first resemblance of .0gr....and for true accuracy i think the difference of .0 to .00 is huge in the field....

I have been loading for ten years....started with a rcbs 10/10 scale that allows by hand to measure to 0.00gr..more accurate I believe than my new rcbs chargemaster lite..it weighs to 0.0gr...huge jump in powder for the difference in accuracy I believe....i know a guy that uses a hospital scale to get to nitty gritty... 0.000gr...
The only way the chargemaster lite can compare to the 10/10 is to stop at the first resemblance of .0gr....and for true accuracy i think the difference of .0 to .00 is huge in the field....
I'm not sure if this matters but my current beam scale that I have is a 5/10. Is the 10/10 really better? As I stated my 5/10 is off

I got a gempro250 2 years ago And it seems to do ok but it drifts from time to time which makes me lose faith in it. I also have an older rcbs beam scale and while that scale is consistent it reads low. I have used scale weights to check it and it is definitely that the scale is off so now I've just been losing faith all together. I do not do long range hunting as my furthest shots are 300-400 yards and I do not do competition so I do not need a crazy expensive scale but I do like to try and load the best that I can. So all that being said what would my options be with a budget of under 200$?

I too have a GemPro 250 for 2X longer than yours without any issues. How about another 250, you can get them for $180 at Amazon.

I'm not sure if this matters but my current beam scale that I have is a 5/10. Is the 10/10 really better? As I stated my 5/10 is off

Well I don't rightly know....if your 5/10 can go to .00gr I would have to say it should be good....if it is mis weighing as you said..is there a way to adjust it to match a specific weight you might have....
Myself...i shouldn't worry about the .00 over the .0 as I am not target shooting for scores....

I use a GemPro 250 also. I have used the same one for almost 6 years. It doesn't drift much at all unless something in the environment is changing. I have a habit of recalibrating it every 20 rounds, just to stay on top of things, but it usually doesn't need it. Hard to beat for the price. I would get another if this one failed.

My first one lasted just over a year though and would drift wildly and wouldn't weigh accurately. It had obviously issues. I replaced it and the new one has worked eversense.

My stays on the bench now and is only moved when it is powdered off. I am gentle with it. I think that helps. It's a delicate instrument. LOL

I am using an older RCBS beam scale. I think it is the 5-0-5 model. If your beam scale is off, you should be able to calibrate it to get it reading perfectly. I also recalibrate my scale about every 20-25 rounds. Also, your A/C can have a significant impact on your scale accuracy, or any air currents. I use a large plastic Tupperware type container (see thru obviously) to put over my scale with each load, it makes a difference.

My first and only Gem pro wasn't right from the get go. I now use an RCBS beam along with a small lyman digital. For what it's worth that little digital is always within .2. Very quickly I can get close with the digital then transfer to to the beam. If I was to do again I will be thinking beam scale.

Last edited:
Luckily, I've had zero problems with the Hornady Lock N Load digital scale and GemPro 250 scale I use. @ $90.00 and $150.00 respectively. I leave them up and running constantly.

Tried several reputable electronic scales. All had issues with consistency. Since consistency is key to accuracy, I only use a beam scale. I'm retired and don't load large numbers of cartridges so I don't get in a big hurry to finish loading.

I use only a beam scale. It's a 505 that's from when they were still made in the USA. If I'm loading for precision all charges are weighed on that. If I'm loading some plinking stuff for the pistols or ar's I weigh 1 about every 10-20. I use only ball powder for the plinking stuff, so it meters really well.

Any simple balance beam scale should work fine, and last with reasonable care... BUT .... no matter what you get, a set of check weights would be prudent. Make sure the scale is reading accurately with something in the correct range at the start of each loading session (takes but a minute).

Example, you are going to weigh out charges in the range of 38 to 40 grains of powder for some load workup, make sure it reads dead on with the 40 grain check weight (or two 20s which is what I have, etc.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.